snowboarders

Old January 12th 05, 02:16 PM
pigo

"uglymoney" wrote in message

I've had too many collisions and have given up. I won't pass a
boarder on the healside. They win.

What you have to do is point your pole at them. It's amazing how much
control someone gains when your ski pole is pointed at them.

Old January 12th 05, 02:27 PM
pigo

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message

Collision games are pointless and dumb. Even if you're totally antisocial
and don't give a damn about hurting someone else, they can always
backfire, and then you're the one going down on the sled.

Games?? What about any of this discussion makes it sound like a game? As I
remember it, it's a matter of survival. In thousands of days of actual
skiing (not working on the mt.) I never had the collisions or near misses as
one day at an area where toys are allowed. Once I learned to ski with my
poles sticking out and flailing around where possible the incidents where
greatly reduced.

But who really cares anyway? I think I'll go try to get up to Alta today. I
wonder how many new feet there are today?

pigo

Old January 12th 05, 06:38 PM
Bob

"pigo" wrote in message

"uglymoney" wrote in message

I've had too many collisions and have given up. I won't pass a
boarder on the healside. They win.

What you have to do is point your pole at them. It's amazing how much
control someone gains when your ski pole is pointed at them.

That's a fine fantasy, but if you come up on a boarder on his heelside, he's
not going to see your pole.

Assault with a ski pole is probably a crime.

The problems with boarders/skiers is that they don't understand each other.
Skiers can't see behind them. Boarders can't see on their heelside. Skiers
should be aware that if they approach from a boarders heelside, it is up to
them to allow safety space. One of the worst falls I've had boarding was
when a skier clipped me on the backside while I was on a toe turn. The first
I saw of him was the back of his skis as I went over backwards. I saw stars
on that one. Boarders can see up the hill part of the time, so they can try
to avoid you, but if you come at them from behind, you can surprise them.

Additionally, skiiers and boarders turn differently. Watch and learn for
your own safety.

I deliberately DON'T teach my snowboard students to sideslip or falling
leaf. They'll learn too soon anyway.

Probably the biggest reason you see snowboarders sideslipping is because
large numbers of teenagers are snowboarders. Teenagers tend to get in over
their heads more than grownups. If they were all on skis, they'd be
sideslipping at the same places. They were when I was a teen. Teenagers also
tend to take other risks - endangering themselves and others. It's not
snowboarders - it's teenagers.

Yes, it would be nice if they'd move out of the way before buckling up.
Skiers don't have to stop for this - boarders do.

Bob

Old January 12th 05, 07:55 PM
Walt

Bob wrote:

I deliberately DON'T teach my snowboard students to sideslip or falling
leaf. They'll learn too soon anyway.

Maybe you should:

"This is a heel slide. It's useful when you find yourself on a slope
that's too steep for you and you want to chicken out. It's better to
chicken out than to hurt yourself, but if the slope is too steep for you
maybe you should practice on easier terrain until you can ride it with
confidence. Oh, and by the way, when you heel slide you scrape off all
the snow down to the boilerplate. Nobody likes heel sliders - don't do
it unless you have to."

I think Mary's right - the main reason they heel scrape is that they
just don't know any better.

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 12th 05, 08:03 PM
Bob

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message
the heelslide is the first thing I learned in snowboarding. It's like
snowplough in skiing.

Exactly. It's a remedial move that, if you're doing it, should be
telling you that you need to stay on the greens.

I have been instructed not to even show my students the heelslide or falling
leaf. That way, they are more likely to use turns instead, and therefore,
learn to ride better. And, they are less likely to get on slopes too steep
for their abilities.

Bob

Old January 12th 05, 08:40 PM
Chuck

Bob wrote:

The problems with boarders/skiers is that they don't understand each other.
Skiers can't see behind them. Boarders can't see on their heelside. Skiers
should be aware that if they approach from a boarders heelside, it is up to
them to allow safety space.

Doesn't matter what side or platform you're on. If you're uphill *you*
are supposed to yield to the downhill skier or boarder. That's the rule
on every mountain I've ever skied on.
Old January 12th 05, 09:57 PM
Walt

Chuck wrote:
Bob wrote:

The problems with boarders/skiers is that they don't understand each
other.
Skiers can't see behind them. Boarders can't see on their heelside.
Skiers
should be aware that if they approach from a boarders heelside, it is
up to
them to allow safety space.

Doesn't matter what side or platform you're on. If you're uphill *you*
are supposed to yield to the downhill skier or boarder. That's the rule
on every mountain I've ever skied on.

At the risk of being overly pedantic, the code actually says:

"People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to
avoid them."

Note the word "ahead" not "downhill". You can't whack somebody from
behing just because you're skiing uphill.

But you're right that there's no exception for a snowboarder's blindspot.

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 12th 05, 11:07 PM
Mary Malmros

the heelslide is the first thing I learned in snowboarding. It's like
snowplough in skiing.

Exactly. It's a remedial move that, if you're doing it, should be
telling you that you need to stay on the greens.

I have been instructed not to even show my students the heelslide or falling
leaf. That way, they are more likely to use turns instead, and therefore,
learn to ride better. And, they are less likely to get on slopes too steep
for their abilities.

ROCK ON!!!

Yer a mensch, Bob.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 12th 05, 11:09 PM
Mary Malmros

Bob wrote:

[snip]
Probably the biggest reason you see snowboarders sideslipping is because
large numbers of teenagers are snowboarders. Teenagers tend to get in over
their heads more than grownups. If they were all on skis, they'd be
sideslipping at the same places.

This I disagree with, because there are plenty of rad-dude teenagers on
skis and you _don't_ see them sideslipping down the steep. They know it
makes them look like dorks.

Old January 13th 05, 12:28 AM
pigo

"Bob" wrote in message

"pigo" wrote in message

"uglymoney" wrote in message

I've had too many collisions and have given up. I won't pass a
boarder on the healside. They win.

What you have to do is point your pole at them. It's amazing how much
control someone gains when your ski pole is pointed at them.

That's a fine fantasy, but if you come up on a boarder on his heelside,
he's
not going to see your pole.

That's their problem. And you wouldn't believe how much their eyesight
improves when theres a pole pointing at them. Besides it's their job NOT TO
HIT ME at that point. I'm a big enough guy that they don't run into me as
much as they do women and children. I've skied with folks on this group and
used the point the pole method whether moving or stopped. It works.

Assault with a ski pole is probably a crime.

It's not assult to have my pole sticking out to one degree or another. It
they don't like it they can just stay more than 50" away from me. It work on
skiers too.

The problems with boarders/skiers is that they don't understand each
other.
Skiers can't see behind them. Boarders can't see on their heelside. Skiers
should be aware that if they approach from a boarders heelside, it is up
them to allow safety space. One of the worst falls I've had boarding was
when a skier clipped me on the backside while I was on a toe turn. The
first
I saw of him was the back of his skis as I went over backwards. I saw
stars
on that one. Boarders can see up the hill part of the time, so they can
try
to avoid you, but if you come at them from behind, you can surprise them.

Boarder are the ones trying to blend into a skiers world. It's their
problem. My contention is that they are not compatable. People don't play
frisbee on golf courses during play.

Additionally, skiiers and boarders turn differently. Watch and learn for
your own safety.

****'em. They have to learn. But I don't ski where toys are allowed anyway.
I like soft snow.

pigo