Rave for the Mary Jane Bump Clinic

Old January 17th 04, 02:55 PM
Varanasi Benares

Default Rave for the Mary Jane Bump Clinic

I asked a couple months ago about what a "clinic" is. The answers were
encouraging, so last Tuesday I went over to Mary Jane to take a bump
clinic. It was great.

The clinic was scheduled to start at 9 AM (check in from 8:15 to 8:45)
and by 9AM, they already had us roughly divided into groups of 6 or 7
and had introduced the group members to each other and to the
instructor. Our group was on the chair shortly after 9. With about an
hour break for lunch, we skied until 4. The instructor was okay with
people leaving early but gave every indication that he was happy to keep
going with whomever remained until the lifts closed. (I confess this
surprised me - I assumed that the instructors would be happy to head
home early.)

The instruction was very helpful to me. (I haven't taken a lesson in
years, so it's hard for me to know how it would measure up to what is
typical.) After an initial blast of information that was impossible to
think about much less put into practice, our instructor honed in on
individual differences and pretty much worked with each of us
separately. Although we skied as a group, I felt like I was getting
private instruction - and in a sense, I was. (I also liked that the
instructor wasn't all "That's great. How about trying a bit more of
this." Sometimes it was a nice comprehensible "Don't do XXXX!")

And what the instructor had to say about my bump skiing was precisely
right. (Though it took me a few runs to believe the critique, of
course.) I have been bumping for years but had reached a point where I
wasn't getting any better. I could get down most everything but not
smoothly or well. Generally, my over all balance, shock absorption, and
fore-aft position were good, but I couldn't go any farther without
changing how I turned in the bumps. I didn't know that of course. I'm
not sure that one can notice things like that about one's own skiing - I
just felt like I was doing everything right but it wasn't working very
well. The advice I got really triggered a breakthrough. I'm using much
less energy and relying less on balance and more on technique.

Old January 17th 04, 05:57 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-01-17, Varanasi Benares penned:
I asked a couple months ago about what a "clinic" is. The answers
were encouraging, so last Tuesday I went over to Mary Jane to take a
bump clinic. It was great.

[snip]

Thanks for the description! Based on that, I may end up checking the
clinic out some time.

I had lessons in the bumps a few weeks ago, and they really opened my
eyes. A clinic is a great way to make sure that you're learning about
one specific thing. In my case, I was lucky in that I and my fiance
were the only two people in the class, so we could pretty much dictate
what we wanted to work on.

If you enjoyed this clinic, I definitely recommend that you take lessons
more than once every few years =) As my last instructor said when we
were deciding what terrain to go down first, "I will be able to see the
problems you're having in the bumps and powder on any terrain." You'll
have the same bad habits on nice, flat groomers -- the problems will
just be more evident on more "complicated" terrain.

--
monique

Old January 18th 04, 05:08 PM
KentB

Congrat on the clinic and report. I really enjoy hearing other people's
experiences. Hopefully this will encourage you to take more lessons &
clinics in the future.

My finding is that a lesson/clinic about once a year is about right. I only
get to ski about 15 to 20 days per year so I can't stand sitting still for
lots of lecture time. But those yearly lessons really help.

ink.net...

Old January 19th 04, 01:32 AM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-01-18, KentB penned:

My finding is that a lesson/clinic about once a year is about right.
I only get to ski about 15 to 20 days per year so I can't stand
sitting still for lots of lecture time. But those yearly lessons
really help.

I get frustrated when people spend too much time talking rather than
letting me do stuff, too. I've found that some instructors are better
for this than others. Of course, some people prefer more of the lecture
bit, too. Perhaps you can ask for someone who's more action than talk
the next time you go for a lesson, or spring for a private lesson and
talk stuff out on the lift.

--
monique

Old January 22nd 04, 04:19 PM
SkiFastBadly

On 2004-01-18, KentB penned:

My finding is that a lesson/clinic about once a year is about right.
I only get to ski about 15 to 20 days per year so I can't stand
sitting still for lots of lecture time. But those yearly lessons
really help.

I get frustrated when people spend too much time talking rather than
letting me do stuff, too. I've found that some instructors are better
for this than others. Of course, some people prefer more of the lecture
bit, too. Perhaps you can ask for someone who's more action than talk
the next time you go for a lesson, or spring for a private lesson and
talk stuff out on the lift.

For those of you who live in the Salt Lake area, I highly recommend the
Park City Ski College. They run it every year in December, and for $400
you get five days of group instruction along with lift tickets. My
skiing has improved drastically.

(And if you can get Alex Lemieux as an instructor, so much the better)