Help! Sking @ Jackson Hole march 5th to march 14th...

Old February 9th 04, 07:59 PM
Atomik Alien

Default Help! Sking @ Jackson Hole march 5th to march 14th...

Guys or gals!

I would like to know what it is like to ski at Jackson Hole in early
spring. I am planning to be there from march 5th to march 14th. I do
like steep terrain, glades and most of all powder! I am worried that
at that time there won't be much powder left, can you please confirm
that these dates are still good for powder snow?

I am also planning to go to the Best Western in Jackson also... Is
this a good enough hotel? Anybody tried it before?

Thanks for any information you may have about Jackson Hole!

Francois
Old February 9th 04, 08:46 PM
lal_truckee

Atomik Alien wrote:
Guys or gals!

I would like to know what it is like to ski at Jackson Hole in early
spring. I am planning to be there from march 5th to march 14th. I do
like steep terrain, glades and most of all powder! I am worried that
at that time there won't be much powder left, can you please confirm
that these dates are still good for powder snow?

Jeff should chime in. March is still snow season, so basically it
depends on the weather. Luck of the draw. I've had some spectacular
March days there, some so nicely stormy that most folks stayed indoors
and even the tram wasn't crowded to start the day. Of course I also
froze my ass off.

I am also planning to go to the Best Western in Jackson also... Is
this a good enough hotel? Anybody tried it before?

Good enough for what? It'll be nice, clean, modern moderately priced
hotel rooms; nothing special. A step up from the Motel 6 down the street
in both rooms and price. If you're looking for expensive ambiance try
again - Jackson has lots of operations ready to take your money in
exchange for handcrafted beds and breakfasts. On the other hand even the
Best Western is way overkill, IMO. Money down the tubes for a place to
sleep. Try the Anvil Motel http://www.anvilmotel.com/ clean,
inexpensive, old timey, and run by nice folks, right downtown around the
corner from whatever night life there is. (If you're traveling alone,
the Anvil also has a basement with cheap bunks and a chance to hook up
with other dedicated cost-cutter skiers. Pretty nice as these things
go.) Unless you desparately need to expend your excess cash while you
sleep. In that case, just mail it to me.

Thanks for any information you may have about Jackson Hole!

From downtown you can shoulder your skis and walk to Snow King, a nice
steep slope and race haven; and often overlooked in the rush to get to
the JH tram.
Old February 9th 04, 10:19 PM
uglymoney

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 12:46:01 -0800, lal_truckee
wrote:

Atomik Alien wrote:
[...]

Its a shame that none of the downtown motels under $50 take dogs. The
Flat Creek is okay, it has a bit of a view anyway, but it is just over
$50 which puts it on the expensive side for Jackson, and out of town
a mile or so, the Red Lion is too expensive, the Antler and the Anvil
don't take even highly trained well mannered medium sized dogs.

So I'm always left with the Motel 6. Nice quiet rooms, close to good
barbeque, cheap, close to town exit, exceptionally affordable, but too
far from downtown and the ability to walk to nearby shops and
especially home from pubs.

Anybody know if any of the downtown area motels take dogs with some
convincing?

Also, the article Friday in USA today (which nearly made me puke with
its emphasis on the rich and Jacksons emphasis on it. While they
talked about backrubs and pampering for most of the article, they
never mentioned cheap rooms for the dog owning visitor who likes to
walk home from the cheap beer pub. Why is it that all ski articles in
major papers are aimed at such a small minority of people who are
wealthy and willing to spend it on a room with ridiculous services
while their dog sits helplessly caged up in a kennel thousands of
miles away) suggested that they are charging ten bucks to park in the
Village. This is just for the close in parking right? Two years ago
it was still free if you rode in on the haywagon behind the truck, and
I asssume that is how it still is?

nate

Old February 9th 04, 10:52 PM
lal_truckee

uglymoney wrote:

Why is it that all ski articles in
major papers are aimed at such a small minority of people who are
wealthy and willing to spend it on a room

Because the papers don't write those articles; the high priced room
consortia commissions the articles from PR pros and ships them off to
newspapers who file the names off and add their own byline.
Old February 9th 04, 11:11 PM
AstroPax

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 22:19:38 GMT, uglymoney
wrote:

//snip//

wealthy and willing to spend it on a room with ridiculous services
while their dog sits helplessly caged up in a kennel thousands of
miles away)

Well, if they are *that* wealthy, you would think they could afford a
dog-sitter.

suggested that they are charging ten bucks to park in the
Village. This is just for the close in parking right? Two years ago
it was still free if you rode in on the haywagon behind the truck, and
I asssume that is how it still is?

That's when I stopped skiing Jackson on a regular basis, when they
started charging to park directly in front of the Mangy Moose.

IMO, JH just isn't what it used to be... too many assholes live and
ski there now.

-Astro

Old February 9th 04, 11:43 PM
AstroPax

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 15:49:57 -0800, lal_truckee
wrote:

I blame it on the new management. Every time some new owners come in and
dump some money into a mountain, the place deteriorates.

One of my biggest complaints with Jackson is that the tram line is
longer than the ski season.

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/index.htm
---

Old February 10th 04, 12:30 AM
pigo

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
AstroPax wrote:

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 22:19:38 GMT, uglymoney
wrote:

//snip//

wealthy and willing to spend it on a room with ridiculous services
while their dog sits helplessly caged up in a kennel thousands of
miles away)

Well, if they are *that* wealthy, you would think they could afford a
dog-sitter.

suggested that they are charging ten bucks to park in the
Village. This is just for the close in parking right? Two years ago
it was still free if you rode in on the haywagon behind the truck, and
I asssume that is how it still is?

That's when I stopped skiing Jackson on a regular basis, when they
started charging to park directly in front of the Mangy Moose.

IMO, JH just isn't what it used to be... too many assholes live and
ski there now.

I blame it on the new management. Every time some new owners come in and
dump some money into a mountain, the place deteriorates.

I don't know about that. Park West didn't get any *worse*. But then how
could it have?

Old February 10th 04, 12:38 AM
Paul Christofanelli

AstroPax wrote:
: One of my biggest complaints with Jackson is that the tram line is
: longer than the ski season.

Ja. Get there 90 minutes early on a big powder day...and you'll still
be 1 tram back. Or try the other lifts. Or know someone on the patrol.
On the other hand, if you wait til the crowd is gone on top of Rendezvous,
it'll look like you got the whole place to yourself - for 6 minutes at least.
That 325 or so people/hour capacity keeps the crowding down. Contrast
that to 2400 people/hour on a quad.

-Paul C.

Suggestions for accomodation in Jackson Hole Janet North American Ski Resorts 3 February 22nd 04 06:11 PM
Jackson Hole Sucks Jeff Davis Alpine Skiing 304 February 15th 04 06:23 PM
Jackson Hole Switters Snowboarding 3 December 2nd 03 12:46 PM
Jackson Hole WY 2004 Ski rentals and snowmobiling? Spider North American Ski Resorts 1 November 20th 03 12:27 AM
Jackson Hole Helen Montfort North American Ski Resorts 3 October 28th 03 04:12 PM