Toko Iron temperature?

Old February 2nd 04, 09:28 PM
Matt Locker

Default Toko Iron temperature?

While waxing my skis yesterday & trying to decide if my iron temp
was set too high, too low, or just right, I got to thinking "what do
others on the RSN set their TOKO irons at?"

So, would anyone here tell me the setting on your TOKO iron for (eg)
Toko LF Red, LF Blue, Hydro, whatever wax you use. I've been using Toko
waxes for a while now so that's my baseline.

Just curious,
Matt

Old February 3rd 04, 03:38 AM
Griss

I use a Holmenkol iron with degrees C markings 8-). Temps range from around
75C for warm waxes to around 115 C or so for CH4, Start Green, Toko Cold
Powder, etc. All of these temps are quite a bit less than recommended on
the wax package, but the wax melts and doesn't smoke so what the heck.

Griss.

Old February 3rd 04, 02:20 PM
Matt Locker

It would be great if I could just say "I set my iron to 75C."
Unfortunately Toko irons aren't marked in degrees, they are marked on a
scale from (I believe) 5-10. It's not very informative. I purchased a
wood-stove thermometer a few years ago to try to get a guage on the
temperature/scale relationship but it's not accurate enough to give me
any real information on the temperature. I guess I need a thermocouple
I can attach to my multimeter.

Any other ideas.

MOO,
Matt

Old February 3rd 04, 03:22 PM
Kenneth Salzberg

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Matt Locker wrote:

It would be great if I could just say "I set my iron to 75C."
Unfortunately Toko irons aren't marked in degrees, they are marked on a
scale from (I believe) 5-10. It's not very informative.

My old Toko Iron (marked in that 1-10 scale) just died after 5 years of
hard going and many falls on cement floors, etc. I got a new one, and
it's marked in degrees. I have no idea how accurate those marking are,
however. So far it works great.

-Ken

Kenneth Salzberg
Hamline University

School of Law (651) 523-2354
1536 Hewitt Ave.
Sisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104

Old February 3rd 04, 03:22 PM
Erik Brooks

I also have a Toko iron, and I think mine reads from 6 to 10. I
wonder if mine produces the same heat when it is set on 7 as other
Toko irons set to the same number.

I did buy a tiny and cheap thermometer that measures in the correct
range, and it was intended, IIRC, to calibrate these irons. I think I
got from the Tognar Toolworks people (they sell tools to tune alpine
skis, mostly). IIRC, my iron produces 275F at a setting of 7, which
is nearly the only setting I need for the soft waxes that work for me
in Seattle's warmish temps.

Rob Bradlee - does Toko have any wisdom for us regarding these irons?
Does a numerical setting on one model of Toko iron correspond closely
to the same setting on another model? Or do we each just have to
"learn our own irons"?

Erik Brooks

Old February 3rd 04, 03:47 PM
Rob Bradlee

Rob Bradlee - does Toko have any wisdom for us regarding these irons?
Does a numerical setting on one model of Toko iron correspond closely
to the same setting on another model? Or do we each just have to
"learn our own irons"?

The newest irons have a list of settings, temps, and waxes printed on
the back. However, on the older ones, there was no such chart. What I
suggest is this: calibrate YOUR iron. I have a long (10 cm?), thin,
metal thermometer. I cut a groove into a piece of wood. Then I set
the iron on top of the wood with the metal rod in the groove. Then I
get a reading for the iron settings. When I'm home I'll dig out the
temps for the waxes. Combine all this info and you'll have a chart.

Rob Bradlee
Toko Tech Team

Old February 3rd 04, 05:22 PM
Rodney/SkiWax.ca

Ah-ha, now I understand why you are asking.
The current Toko irons (and for several years) have
the temperature marked on the dial instead of the 1-5 scale.
Your e-address looks US so I'll list it in deg F.

5 -- MAX

Rodney

Old February 3rd 04, 05:47 PM
Griss

"Matt Locker" wrote in message
It would be great if I could just say "I set my iron to 75C."
Unfortunately Toko irons aren't marked in degrees, they are marked on a
scale from (I believe) 5-10. It's not very informative. I purchased a
wood-stove thermometer a few years ago to try to get a guage on the
temperature/scale relationship but it's not accurate enough to give me
any real information on the temperature. I guess I need a thermocouple
I can attach to my multimeter.

Any other ideas.

MOO,
Matt

Yea, I know...that's why I put the little smiley - trying to make a lame
joke about the irons that are marked w/o degrees and brag about my iron.
That's why the Holmenkol iron beckoned me way back when. Neither the Swix
and Toko irons I was looking at that day had degree markings, and it just
seemed to make sense to me to have them. But this was several years ago.

However, I do understand that the degree markings on my iron may or may not
be accurate - thus I use the old "hot enough to melt w/o smoking the wax"
method, and really try to avoid what I've read is the "redline" for bases -
135C / 275F Like I said, I usually use a setting quite a bit lower than
recommended on the wax package, anyway and think around 115-120C works OK
for hard stuff like CH4 or cold powder. I think it might be workable just
to note/chart the settings for each wax based on that?

Another suggestion: somewhere (probably an industrial hardware store) they
sell things called, I think, melt sticks that can be used to calibrate hot
things. A ski tech I know used one to determine the mark on his Toko iron
that is, I believe, 250F (~120C) and then estimated some other temps for the
other markings on his iron based on that. I think that works well too, and
some day I hope to check the temps on my iron, if I can find one of these
items. He can't remember where he bought it.

FWIW, Grissy

Old February 3rd 04, 05:56 PM
Matt Locker

Griss:

Sorry I missed the smiley! I received mine as a gift so can't complain
too much - it's served me well over the years. Just a couple issues
such as this one.

I like the idea of the melt stick & Rob Bradlee's idea of the block with
thermometer cutout. I'll need to experiment given some extra

Matt

Old February 3rd 04, 05:57 PM
Matt Locker

Rob:

That's a great idea! Let me know what you get for your temp/setting table.

Matt