warm gloves: opinions on Swany sx-15 x-over glove?

Old December 10th 04, 02:43 AM
Stephen

"lal_truckee" wrote in message

No significant changes in boots (although from the ads you'd think they
invented whole new pedal extremities for humans) except the pretty much
worthless "soft boot" which I classify with "rear entry boots" and both
of which you should avoid like ebola.

My gut agrees with you on the "soft boot", but do you have any specific
reasons?

Stephen

Old December 10th 04, 03:50 AM
Janet

On 2004-12-09, Janet penned:

My Hubby always had a problem with his feet getting cold until I bought him
the Hottronix boot warmers. They have a footbed that goes into the boot
which contains the warming element.

Does that mean you can't get a custom footbed if you use them?

Not sure, because the hottronix thing is very thin. My guess is you can
use both if the bootfitter knows what he's doing. I guess "footbed" was
not the best choice of words....sorry

Janet

Old December 10th 04, 10:45 AM
Ollie Clark

On 2004-12-08, Dave M penned:

Apparently this is the same idea as taking aspirin on trans-Atlantic flights
to prevent the deep vein thrombosis or some such. For skiing and flying she
takes a normal dose (two or maybe three but I'll ask) on the way up the hill
in the morning (or on the way to the airport) and claims that it should
help.

Sounds good. A lot of people take aspirin every day for heart conditions and
such, so one every ski day should be no problem.

My friend has to take them to thin his blood for a heart problem. He takes
a 75mg aspirin twice a day and has done for ages. I /think/ that's less
than a normal strength tablet so you might not need to take a normal dose
just to improve your circulation. Check the strength of the tablets and
adjust accordingly.

Except ... I usually try to put off joint and muscle pain by taking some aleve
before I ski, too. I wonder if it's a good idea to take both.

I'd check with a pharmacist or doctor before combining them. That's the
advice on the label.

--
"Fighting terrorists with a military invasion is like trying to kill
a bee by shooting its beehive with a shotgun." - Anonymous, USENET

Old December 10th 04, 05:33 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-10, Ollie Clark penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

My friend has to take them to thin his blood for a heart problem. He takes a
75mg aspirin twice a day and has done for ages. I /think/ that's less than a
normal strength tablet so you might not need to take a normal dose just to
improve your circulation. Check the strength of the tablets and adjust
accordingly.

Yeah, my husband takes a small aspirin a day. I would probably just take one
of his.

Except ... I usually try to put off joint and muscle pain by taking some
aleve before I ski, too. I wonder if it's a good idea to take both.

I'd check with a pharmacist or doctor before combining them. That's the
advice on the label.

Absolutely. I have a call in to the physician's assistant ...

Hah, who just returned my call. She said a low dose of both aspirin and aleve
should be fine. I asked her if I should watch for any symptoms, and she said
no. She confirmed that aspirin should help with my circulation, too. I
already know aleve helps my knees =)

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old December 10th 04, 05:38 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-09, Mary Malmros penned:

I can pretty much guarantee that my feet have a stranger shape than yours --
and it's caused by injuries that left fairly sensitive scar stuff behind
them. I've got a bulge on top of my right foot that looks like I've got a
large shooter marble embedded in my second metatarsal. What it actually is,
is a huge wad of scar tissue from a non-union fracture. I've sprained both
insteps rather badly, broken toes, you name it. The solution was a good
bootfitter who paid attention to all of the above.

Wow. That does give me hope =) Um, so, where did you go to get your boots?

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old December 10th 04, 05:38 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-10, Janet penned:
On 2004-12-09, Janet penned:

My Hubby always had a problem with his feet getting cold until I bought him
the Hottronix boot warmers. They have a footbed that goes into the boot
which contains the warming element.

Does that mean you can't get a custom footbed if you use them?

Not sure, because the hottronix thing is very thin. My guess is you can use
both if the bootfitter knows what he's doing. I guess "footbed" was not the
best choice of words....sorry

No need to apologize. I'm just trying to arm myself with some info before I
go to the fitters.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old December 10th 04, 05:42 PM
lal_truckee

On 2004-12-10, Ollie Clark penned:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

[...]

Last season I read a report that aspirin and Vitamin I counteracted each
other, but last month my physician said the reports had been proven
wrong, and that V-I and aspirin worked together just fine.

So I can return to my regular drug regime:

A baby aspirin daily, for blood thinning; a jolt of caffeine daily, for
a jump-start; a couple of Vitamin I (ibuprofen) before skiing, for the
knees; and a good beer after skiing, for the heart (probably should be
red wine from all reports but a beer keeps better in the locker...)

Are Mercans the most drugged up people in history, or what?

See you on the slopes...

Old December 10th 04, 05:45 PM
lal_truckee

On 2004-12-09, Mary Malmros penned:

I can pretty much guarantee that my feet have a stranger shape than yours --
and it's caused by injuries that left fairly sensitive scar stuff behind
them. I've got a bulge on top of my right foot that looks like I've got a
large shooter marble embedded in my second metatarsal. What it actually is,
is a huge wad of scar tissue from a non-union fracture. I've sprained both
insteps rather badly, broken toes, you name it. The solution was a good
bootfitter who paid attention to all of the above.

Wow. That does give me hope =) Um, so, where did you go to get your boots?

Can you beat these?
http://www.dalebootusa.com/images/feet_small.gif

Daleboot fit that guy...

Old December 10th 04, 05:52 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-10, lal_truckee penned:

A baby aspirin daily, for blood thinning; a jolt of caffeine daily, for a
jump-start; a couple of Vitamin I (ibuprofen) before skiing, for the knees;
and a good beer after skiing, for the heart (probably should be red wine
from all reports but a beer keeps better in the locker...)

I prefer aleve to ibuprofin for the longer-lasting effects. They both seem to
work equally well for me.

Caffeine, by the way, constricts blood vessels, so you could probably just
remove both aspirin and caffeine from your regimen and be even =P (IANAD)

See you on the slopes...

Sure! You're the Loveland devote, right? I'll be there jan. 22 for a race.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old December 10th 04, 05:57 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-10, lal_truckee penned:

Daleboot fit that guy...

Well, I called Surefoot at Vail, where I got my boots in Jan of '99, and asked
them about this guarantee they had. I told them that they'd made adjustments
to these boots several times over the years, and they have never been
completely comfortable (better than previous boots, though). He said that a
replacement boot would have to be authorized by the manager (sensible), but
that they certainly will replace a boot if it is not working out.

A full replacement would be neat, but after so many years, I wouldn't expect
it. Still, some sort of significant discount would be nice.

--
monique
Longmont, CO