Marcialonga in MN?

Old January 5th 05, 03:34 PM
Lars

Default Marcialonga in MN?

sounds good with flat Mora Vasaloppet.
looks good on map and pictures. didn't find a profile.
I think it is flat even thou the site says "the 42K Classic will start
at the traditional starting area, but soon afterwards find themselves
on a new trail that is filled with hills, curves and woods."
http://www.vasaloppet.org/races.html
Double poling is mostly what I do these days as my left foot is too
troublesome for solid kicking. looks bad :-(

Regarding little kick wax and Jannes Vasa videos. The elite
doublepoled up many small hills that us others had to stride up. So
the track is more up and down than the video shows from bird view. The
elite did also have very little grip during the last 30km or so. When
Aukland strides up a small hill in the end he "walks on his arms" with
very little grip.
Start temp was -10C and VR45 was the softest I saw elite put on,
topped with blue extra. With temps close to 4+ and sunny I had red
klister when crossing finish line in 2004. Even 6h skiers may use red
klister in the end.

Marcialonga is so much flatter than Vasa some racers use very little
grip. ML is not only flat it's slightly downhill...

mvh Lars
"whale meat eater" :-) jt
Old January 5th 05, 05:09 PM
Marsh Jones

Lars wrote:
sounds good with flat Mora Vasaloppet.
looks good on map and pictures. didn't find a profile.
I think it is flat even thou the site says "the 42K Classic will start
at the traditional starting area, but soon afterwards find themselves
on a new trail that is filled with hills, curves and woods."
http://www.vasaloppet.org/races.html
Double poling is mostly what I do these days as my left foot is too
troublesome for solid kicking. looks bad :-(

I think the "new trail" stuff may be a couple of years old. I don't
remember a whole lot of striding in the woods - mostly DP or DP-kick.
The entire MN-Vasa has a minimal elevation gain. There is only one real
hill, at about the halfway point, and then more DP. Bjorn (a.k.a.
Wenner) may have a little different take, and can probably give you a
finer breakdown than I.

Marsh Jones

Old January 5th 05, 06:48 PM
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

Marsh Jones wrote:
I think the "new trail" stuff may be a couple of years old. I don't
remember a whole lot of striding in the woods - mostly DP or DP-kick.

The entire MN-Vasa has a minimal elevation gain. There is only one

real
hill, at about the halfway point, and then more DP. Bjorn (a.k.a.
Wenner) may have a little different take, and can probably give you a

finer breakdown than I.

More often than not, this race has been held on the lake, so yes, the
elevation gain or loss is mimimal, and the hills are small.

A bit more seriously, the course is a lot of rolling hills, and I'd say
kick wax is necessary, even if you're James Dundon. In the second half
the race, there are steep but short hills (except the one), and the
kick wax is even more useful. So yes, you have to be a dp monster to
win, but you can't be off the boat (a rower new to skiing) and win
since you have to also be able to kick.

Jay Wenner

Old January 5th 05, 11:18 PM

BTW, you've probably noticed my many references to myself as the person
who gave the Minnesota Mora Vasaloppet people the idea for the 42K
Classic event... OUCH! I just dislocated my shoulder again patting
myself on the back...
I think I need to get that fixed...

Jay Tegeder
Humble and understated as always....
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT

Old January 6th 05, 04:16 AM
Gary Jacobson

wrote in message
oups.com...
OUCH! I just dislocated my shoulder again patting
myself on the back...
I think I need to get that fixed...

Come over here, I'll fix it. I've got experience with that problem.

Lars, Lars, Lars.....

Marcialonga didn't seem flat to me. The profile indicates quite a bit of
climbing in the first 20 km or so. It sure seemed it to me on that weird
glide-robbing man made snow.

I think that Vasaloppet is significantly flatter with less over all
elevation gain.

I sure hope to ski Marcialonga classic style some day. When I did it skating
it was only the second skate marathon I ever did. The first one in 1985 or
so took me over an hour longer than my classic time in similar conditions
the year prior. Jarvinen wood core skate skis, log-like poles, Salomon gold
plasticlike race training boots.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Marcialonga in MN? Lars Nordic Skiing 2 January 4th 05 06:08 PM
MARCIALONGA! Gary Jacobson Nordic Skiing 10 January 28th 04 05:38 AM
Mpeg Races: Marcia longa Janne G Nordic Skiing 0 January 27th 04 09:25 AM
Marcialonga Result Davide Tosi Nordic Skiing 1 January 25th 04 09:37 PM
Marcialonga Sunday 25 January taywood Nordic Skiing 0 January 22nd 04 10:52 PM