Marcialonga

Old April 29th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jim Whalen NULL

Default Marcialonga

Has anyone skied the Marcialonga in Italy? I am looking for a
recommendation on where to stay.
Thanks.
Old May 6th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Apr 29, 6:04*pm, Jim Whalen NULL wrote:
Has anyone skied the Marcialonga in Italy? *I am looking for a
recommendation on where to stay.
Thanks.

Lucky you, the Italians know how to throw a great party/ski race. I
believe they pioneered a type of rolling start the last few years to
avoid bottlenecks. We were last there three years ago and had a great
time. If you are a coffee fan make sure you take the shot of expresso
that is offered at 67K just before a very serious climb to the finish.
Big crowds and lots of hoopla along the way and at the finish, this is
a very fun race

The lodging/tourist group in the Val de Flemme is at www.valdifiemme.info
They were very helpful. We stayed in Carona which was about a 15
minute walk from the finish. The bus to the start picked us up about
100 meters down the road. Our Hotel was "Beauty and Vital Hotel
Maria". Exceptional food, nice wax room out back, a little happy hour
with great snacks around 4 pm. In the basement they have a stunning
Spa area with two different saunas, steam rooms, an icy cold shower
right from the sauna and a very cold small pool to stand in to
rejuvenate your legs. Had a little culture shock the first day when I
went down to the sauna wearing running shorts and the very attractive
21 yr old attendant looked at me, shook her finger and said " no
boxers". Yep, the Spa area is Au Natural.

If your schedule will allow it the Thursday before there is a sweet
21K classic race, THE LAVAZELOPPET that is up in the mountains not far
from the Marcialonga finish. This race also can count as a short
Worldloppet race towards the Silver Masters designation. Nice rolling
course with one forever climb and some of the best vistas I have
experienced in a lifetime of ski racing. Plenty of time to recover in
the Spa before Sundays big race.

John O'Connell
Saint Paul, MN
USA
Old May 11th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jim Whalen NULL

The lodging/tourist group in the Val de Flemme is atwww.valdifiemme.info
[...]

Thanks for the great info! Any tips for the race in Germany? Planning
to do that the weekend after the race in Italy.

Marcialonga tassava Nordic Skiing 10 February 5th 07 02:41 PM
Marcialonga in MN? Lars Nordic Skiing 1 January 7th 05 05:26 PM
Marcialonga in MN? Lars Nordic Skiing 4 January 6th 05 04:16 AM
Marcialonga in MN? Lars Nordic Skiing 2 January 4th 05 06:08 PM
MARCIALONGA! Gary Jacobson Nordic Skiing 10 January 28th 04 05:38 AM