Help: Classical binding lift

Old January 23rd 04, 04:33 PM
Boulat Bash

Default Help: Classical binding lift

Perhaps someone has been in the same predicament. My left leg is
shorter than my right leg by 2.5 cm (1" exactly). I've been getting
modified footwear all my life, usually w/o problems. In the very rare
cases when footwear can not be modified, I insert either 1.25 cm or 2
cm lift into the left shoe.

I've been getting into classical nordic skiing lately. For now I rent
the equipment (and use the insert), but I'm considering getting my
own. I've talked with my pedorthist (the guy who makes my orthotics
and modifies shoes) and he said ski boots are nearly impossible to
modify. He also mentioned that usually the ski itself is modified by
inserting material between the board and the binding. Unfortunately,
he does not do it. (Btw, the pedorthist is Paul Richelson of
Plymouth, NH -- maybe some of you met him)

So my question is, what material can one put between the board and the
binding that would not deform too much over time, and have the
reasonably small effect on the flex of the ski? (Som effect is
tolerable, as I am strictly recreational skier, not competing or
anything) I am looking for thinkness of 1.25 cm minimum -- and 2 cm
would be great. One of the ski shop guys mentioned Teflon... What
does everyone think? Is doing this even possible? Is there anyone
with the same problem? If so, what material did you use? I
appreciate any help.

Boulat Bash