my first distance workout on inlines

Old August 19th 03, 03:39 PM
Ken Roberts

Default my first distance workout on inlines

Lots of fun.

Took my new inline skates out on the wide quiet streets near our apartment.
I figured I could go back and switch to my rollerskis when I found out that
I couldn't get a good workout with the skates (because of lack of resistance
or because I was too scared of the speed).

Started out revisiting lots of places I've enjoyed on rollerskis, but I went
so far so fast that I got confused out on roads I'd never been to before.
After a few minutes practicing, I felt good enough with braking. So I tried
some downhills and felt confident on those. Then some curves, and my legs
still remembered how to do cross-overs from my childhood ice rink days.

Then I worked on braking from higher speeds. And discovered that I _like_
speeds, way higher than I ever dared on rollerskis. Got chased by five
9th-grade boys on bicycles, who posed unexpected questions when they caught
me at a stop sign.

Heart Rate: highs about the same as rollerskis, but the lows were lower. I
think the highs were due to me being unable to resist playing with my
newfound speed. I'll guess that once I've gotten over that, my average
heart rate, both highs and lows, will be 5 or 10 beats lower than on
rollerskis. That's a _good_ thing for my long slow distance workouts.

Never did use that plastic buckle around the ankle of the skate. Instead I
tightened the laces for better support. Then after a long time my toes were
getting numb, so I took my skates off for a minute -- no problem. After
that I decided to keep my laces comfortable, and just learn to skate with
less support. Worked fine for me -- I've got years and years of practice
skiing and ice-skating in unsupportive boots.

Ankle bend. Never before practiced such deep ankle bend, and for so many
minutes. I suspect it's the lower resistive force of inlines that allows me
to easily play with a larger range of motion.

Still skating two hours later. Never did go back for the rollerskis.
Inlines are way more fun.

Ken

Old August 19th 03, 06:42 PM
Tim Dudley

Ken - it would be interesting to hear your reaction to an inline workout
with poles.

Tim

Old August 19th 03, 07:21 PM
Cloutier Jim

--0-2001685297-1061320827=:2408

Tim,

I started out on inline skates with poles. It is pretty fast, and almost makes the poles unusable. When I migrated to the roller-skis the poles made much more sense.

I love to inline skate and I like roller skiing. I treat them as very separate exercise with very different purposes. With that in mind..........enjoy both.........Jim

From: "Ken Roberts"
Newsgroups: rec.skiing.nordic
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:39:37 GMT

[...]

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)

--0-2001685297-1061320827=:2408

DIV
DIVTim,/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVI started out on inline skates with poles.  It is pretty fast, and almost makes the poles unusable.  When I migrated to the roller-skis the poles made much more sense./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVI love to inline skate and I like roller skiing.  I treat them as very separate exercise with very different purposes.  With that in mind..........enjoy both.........JimBRBRBITim Dudley >/I/B wrote:/DIV
DIV
BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; WIDTH: 100%"Ken - it would be interesting to hear your reaction to an inline workoutBRwith poles.BRBRBRTimBRBR> From: "Ken Roberts" BR> Organization: AT&T WorldnetBR> Newsgroups: rec.skiing.nordicBR> Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:39:37 GMTBR> Subject: my first distance workout on inlinesBR> BR> Lots of fun.BR> BR> Took my new inline skates out on the wide quiet streets near our apartment.BR> I figured I could go back and switch to my rollerskis when I found out thatBR> I couldn't get a good workout with the skates (because of lack of resistanceBR> or because I was too scared of the speed).BR> BR> Started out revisiting lots of places I've enjoyed on rollerskis, but I wentBR> so far so fast that I got confused out on roads I'd never been to before.BR> After a few minutes pract!
icing, I
felt good enough with braking. So I triedBR> some downhills and felt confident on those. Then some curves, and my legsBR> still remembered how to do cross-overs from my childhood ice rink days.BR> BR> Then I worked on braking from higher speeds. And discovered that I _like_BR> speeds, way higher than I ever dared on rollerskis. Got chased by fiveBR> 9th-grade boys on bicycles, who posed unexpected questions when they caughtBR> me at a stop sign.BR> BR> Heart Rate: highs about the same as rollerskis, but the lows were lower. IBR> think the highs were due to me being unable to resist playing with myBR> newfound speed. I'll guess that once I've gotten over that, my averageBR> heart rate, both highs and lows, will be 5 or 10 beats lower than onBR> rollerskis. That's a _good_ thing for my long slow distance workouts.BR> BR> Never did use that plastic buckle around the ankle of the skate. Instead IBR>
tightened the laces for better support. Then after a long time my toes wereBR> getting numb, so I took my skates off for a minute -- no problem. AfterBR> that I decided to keep my laces comfortable, and just learn to skate withBR> less support. Worked fine for me -- I've got years and years of practiceBR> skiing and ice-skating in unsupportive boots.BR> BR> Ankle bend. Never before practiced such deep ankle bend, and for so manyBR> minutes. I suspect it's the lower resistive force of inlines that allows meBR> to easily play with a larger range of motion.BR> BR> Still skating two hours later. Never did go back for the rollerskis.BR> Inlines are way more fun.BR> BR> KenBR> BR> BRBRBRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTE/DIV/DIVBRBRDTSTRONGFONT color=#800000"If a man does his best, what else is there?"/FONT/STRONG BR- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)/DTphr SIZE=1
Do you Yahoo!?br
a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=10469/*http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com"Yahoo! SiteBuilder/a - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
--0-2001685297-1061320827=:2408--

Old August 19th 03, 08:13 PM
Tim Dudley

I've always used inline skates with poles, with a brief hiatus to roller
skis, which scared the crap out of me.

I've got a pair of the original black Roller Blades with the orange wheels
and what they called the "leg burner" bearings. They must be close to 25
years old now, and they aren't nearly as fast as the new ones. So I do get a
workout, and can't keep up with anybody.

Tim

From: (Cloutier Jim)
Newsgroups: rec.skiing.nordic

From: "Ken Roberts"
Newsgroups: rec.skiing.nordic
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:39:37 GMT

Old August 19th 03, 08:19 PM
J999w

FWIW, I've been inline skating with poles since the late '80's ... you've got
to find bigger hills to climb with inlines. Yeah, the downhills are fast, but
the time going down is shorter, then right back up the next climb, you can keep
your HR up plenty. We picked out some long loops (~25km) in the country, going
clockwise to minimize road crossing. Also look for roads that lack stop signs
at the bottom of the downhills, sure saves on $$ replacing the brakes. With
practice, you can skate down just about anything doing slolom turns, or in
unfamiliar territory, walk in the grass (or snow banks in a low snow January).
There was only one hill we wouldn't go down ... Tans Road ... long, twisty,
blind turns. Made for an excellent climb, but just too risky for a decent on
blades ! =

jw
milwaukee
Old August 19th 03, 09:25 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

I'm not a fast skier or an especially skillful one, but I like my
inline skates (lowish level by Bauer I think) way more than rollerskis
(V2 aeros) because I feel so much safer. The balance is a little
easier and I have little fear on my skates in the park. As a result, I
can ski with a lot of abandon and really get up and over my "skis."
With the rollerskis I'm so stressed about falling that I'm pretty
tentative -- not good for technique I think.

(though part of the problem may be that the boots I use rollerskiing
are too soft -- I guess I need to bite the bullet and use my good
boots on them. But that requires new bindings...)

Using the skates is like skiing on very well groomwed terrain with
excellent snow -- the easiest learnign conditions but also easy
conditions to be sloppy if I want. So I skate consciously thinking
about snow technique and not doing stuff that's impossible or
ineffective on skis (like pushing off with the toe too much).

I just wish my skates were slower -- I only have to V1 a tiny bit on
the loop I use, which is not good practice for skiing on hilly
terrain. I got a pair of Carbonics wheels from Jenex and mean to put
them on my skates soon to slow things down.

JT
Old August 19th 03, 10:52 PM
Gary Jacobson

This is all so interesting.

I find roller skis safer as the speeds are slower, and consequentially the
damage potential from falling is probably lower.
I can understand that initially roller skis may feel less stable, but at the
faster range of each I feel more stable on a longer wheel base.
Also the skate position when inlining doesn't seem to allow for much
adjustment to avoid a fall.
I suppose it's a matter of what you are used to.

My experience with roller skis goes way back, but then so too with in line
skates.
It must have been in the early 80's that I messed around on Olle's
Innovative Sports in line skates the year that skating overwhelmed the WC
scene at the VM in Seefield. Olle's Innovative Sports became Roller Blade. I
bought a pair of the first Roller Blades marketed from Champion Nordic in
Michigan. (I mention Champion, because they ripped me off seriously when
they went bankrupt. They incouraged customers to buy by offering a discount
if you paid with a check. I ordered a bunch of stuff. They cashed the
check, and then went out of business. I never got the stuff.)

I used those Roller Blade Zebras for many years, and they became more useful
for ski training as they became slower. Back then, I could find no skate
roller skis that I liked. There were a lot of dogs out there.

Then I went to the standard inline race boot- Bont Hustler and used them for
both speed skate training and ski training. For skiing I used a five wheel
frame with 2 slow jenex wheels and some dummy cheap slow hockey wheels. For
speedskate training I used a four wheel frame with medium grade bearings and
soft wheels, The 4 wheel frame allows for a lower profile- more like an ice
skate.

Anyway, I rarely inline these days, and when I do I feel like I may crash
and burn at any second. The speeds are frightening, and all it takes is one
pebble.

Don't recall ever hurting myself in a roller ski fall, indeed I think I
never really had a out of control fall. (Today when training the bearing on
my speed reducer froze, and I sort of almost fell, and that's about as close
as I've come.) But, I have served up some very serious road rash on in line
skates.

So to sum my experience up, in lines seem less safe to me, and I think it is
all a matter of what you are used to.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

om...

Old August 19th 03, 11:54 PM
J999w

I find roller skis safer as the speeds are slower, and consequentially the
damage potential from falling is probably lower.

I guess it's a matter of perspective. Is it better to roll and slide falling
off your skates at 20mph (or more), or *splat* at 10mph on your roller skis?

I'd rather pick gravel out of my butt, than work with a jammed wrist.

I'm off biking !

jw
milwaukee
(still no Potter??)
Old August 20th 03, 04:05 AM
Erik Brooks

John's comments pretty much mirror my
own - I had some V2 classic roller skis
for a year to supplement my 8? year old
K2 midrange skates (with slow wheels) -
I sold the V2s - they just were not
nearly as much fun, and I didn't feel as
safe on them. I think I'm probably more
willing and happy to skate with gear
that I really like, so I'm going to keep
doing it - and it hasn't seemed to hurt
me competitively.

BTW, I have a rolling loop where I work
out - my PR with poles for one lap is
3:00 with poles, and 3:01 without.
Without, I guess I'm a little more aero,
and with poles, I've got a larger group
of muscles working. I'm sure that if I
attempted to learn current in-line tech,
I'd go faster that way, but I'm not very
interested in that.

Erik Brooks, Seattle

Old August 20th 03, 12:48 PM
Ken Roberts

Hitting a pebble on the road is as bad on small-diameter-wheel rollerskis as
inline skates. But at least if I'm skating in good light and weather I can
_see_ that pebble or stick as I approach.

What really scares me is the _unexpected_ sudden changes: Car drivers
making sudden turn-arounds, joggers and/or dogs darting into the street
without warning. My favorite: a turkey jumping out of a bush right in
front of me (then getting into a fight with a dog).

It's in reacting to the unexpected where I see rollerskis as inferior for
quick stops or avoidance maneuvers.

Ken