can some snowboards be dangerous?

Old March 15th 08, 05:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Default can some snowboards be dangerous?

i fractured my shoulder yesterday i did it the first day on my new
snowboard. the board moved really easily and felt very sensitive
compared to my old ten year old thing, but i never seriously injured
myself on that. was it me and bad luck or could it have had something
to do with the board? i am between a beginner and intermediate.
Old March 16th 08, 06:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

i used my new flow bindings from my old board. i wasnt looking in
front of me and fell on my shoulder. the board seemed to turn so
quickly. maybe i should go back to my old one which doesnt turn left
so well.

Old March 16th 08, 06:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
WCE

On Mar 16, 12:17*am, "
wrote:
i used my new flow bindings from my old board. * i wasnt looking in
front of me and fell on my shoulder. * the board seemed to turn so
quickly. *maybe i should go back to my old one which doesnt turn left
so well.

Naw. Stick to it. A true skilled rider would be able to ride all
kind of boards. So as a veteran, I would suggest you to suck it up
and continue riding. Just get to know the board well first, on bunny
hill, as much as possible til you feel confident.

And I wish you a very speedy recovery!

LeeW
Old March 16th 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On Mar 16, 3:59 pm, WCE wrote:
On Mar 16, 12:17 am, "
wrote:

i used my new flow bindings from my old board. i wasnt looking in
front of me and fell on my shoulder. the board seemed to turn so
quickly. maybe i should go back to my old one which doesnt turn left
so well.

Naw. Stick to it. A true skilled rider would be able to ride all
kind of boards. So as a veteran, I would suggest you to suck it up
and continue riding. Just get to know the board well first, on bunny
hill, as much as possible til you feel confident.

And I wish you a very speedy recovery!

LeeW

to be honest i feel like giving up snowboarding all together. This is
the first time i have ever broken a bone in my life. I used my old
board which didnt seem as sensitive maybe had a different edge, dont
understand these things that well i used it for two and a half years
and never broke anything.
Old March 16th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike M. Miskulin

" wrote in
:

to be honest i feel like giving up snowboarding all together. This is
the first time i have ever broken a bone in my life. I used my old
board which didnt seem as sensitive maybe had a different edge, dont
understand these things that well i used it for two and a half years
and never broke anything.

just curious.. how often did you get your edges sharpened
on your old ride?

Old March 16th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

wrote in message

i used my new flow bindings from my old board. i wasnt looking in
front of me and fell on my shoulder. the board seemed to turn so
quickly. maybe i should go back to my old one which doesnt turn left
so well.

Pay attention whenever you are riding. You have a new board, which is probably
much more responsive, so you can't get sloppy. Take a few lessons on the new
board to correct bad habits which you could get away with on your old board, and
you will be amazed with how much better you ride. You want to steer the board,
not push the back around to turn.

Old March 17th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:13:19 GMT, "
allegedly wrote:

to be honest i feel like giving up snowboarding all together. This is
the first time i have ever broken a bone in my life.

Just curious, but how old are you? It seems that in today's society we
strive to protect our kids from all forms of harm, in every shape and
form, and (I realise this may be controversial to some) I feel it is
counter-productive. When I was a kid, my friends and I used to do all
kinds of stuff that might seem crazy now. We sometimes broke bones and
got hurt, but we lived. Therefore I was just wondering if you're from
"my" generation or from this new generation.

Please note, there's no sarcasm or irony in my questions. I got into
snowboarding knowing full well that I could get hurt, but I try to
minimise my risks accordingly. Like taking it easier on my first and last
day. The same applies when skiing, mountain biking, trekking, or even
driving to work.

Hope your shoulder heals well.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/
Old March 17th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Stuart Chan

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:13:19 GMT, "
allegedly wrote:

to be honest i feel like giving up snowboarding all together. This is
the first time i have ever broken a bone in my life.

I can understand your feeling about giving up. I got a concussion and
sprained ankle from a poorly landed jump a few years back and my confidence
was definitely shaken. So that you know, it was also a new-ish board. Since
I was used to the 10 year old noodle of a board I had prior, so this new
stiffer board was somewhat of a challenge to get used to. My experiences
tell me that you just have to take it easy and learn the characteristics of
your new board. Once you understand your board, you'll be able to make it do
things that you want.

But with regards to are some boards dangerous... All boards are. But some
are a little more sensitive than others and you just need to know and
respect that. Sooner or later you'll come to recognize that some of the
twitchier boards can be a lot of fun.

Wacopaco