helmets

Old January 21st 05, 12:33 AM
Jason Medeiros

Can you please say more about the Fuse? I'm thinking about getting one but
at about $150 USD I've hesitated to pull the trigger. I have a 9 that I
like
a lot but it's about 4 years old and has taken a few hits, plus the
padding
is starting to fall out. The vent system on the Fuse looks awesome. I'm
sure
I'd be happy with another 9, but the Fuse is tempting me

Chris

interesting. i tried on the fuse the other day. i currently wear a 9 that
i got 3yrs ago. fits great. the fuse doesn't fit quite as nicely as the 9.

--

jmed

Old January 21st 05, 01:25 AM
David

"Dean" wrote in message ...
David wrote:
Yup. Its gotta fit. I bought a Leedom, because of all the helmets in the shop when I
decided to buy, it was the one that fit best.

I'd not heard of that brand until I read your message. It is not sold
locally. Which model did you get?

I have this or very similar:
http://www.skihelmets.com/Helmet_rev...e04.asp?ID=167

I bought in the Spring on a late season sale, so I paid less. The downside being
less selection.

Anyway they have a model that looks nearly the same but without the shell covering the
ears, and it might be lighter. The only time reacently I've boarded without the helmet was
when my neck was sore--from other things.

I have a Giro Fuse that uses a lever to adjust venting rather than
removing and inserting plugs. I open the vents for the trip down and
close them for the trip up.

The Leedom has a simple vent control too. Pretty handy.

Old January 21st 05, 01:50 PM

"Chris J." wrote:
Can you please say more about the Fuse? I'm thinking about getting one but
at about $150 USD I've hesitated to pull the trigger.

My local stores mainly sell Giro and Boeri, and Giro fit my head better.
Fit is vital. If a helmet is too loose it doesn't provide the protection
you seek. Too tight and you can get a headache.

After seeing the Fuse's venting system I decided it was the right helmet
for me from the options available locally. A lever near the top of the
helmet opens and closes vents on the top. The vents can be opened 1/2 or
fully. There are other vents that can be opened/closed with plugs.

I like the Oakley Wisdom goggle, but it and the helmet do not have a
perfect fit.

I bought my Fuse during an early winter sale. backcountry.com currently
has the 2003 Fuse on sale for $105 US in limited sizes and colors. REI
current has the Giro 9 on sale for $80 US.

Since I will probably replace it next year, perhaps with another Fuse, I
plan to look at other brands when I'm in Whistler and Colorado too see
what else is available and how well they fit just so I know what options
exist for me.

Dean
Old January 21st 05, 03:26 PM

D wrote:
Since I will probably replace it next year, perhaps with another Fuse, I
plan to look at other brands when I'm in Whistler and Colorado

In a few days I'll be in Whistler. I've been watching the weather. Based
on the current conditions, I'll have plenty of time to shop. I'm
reminded of the words said by the wicked witch in the "Wizard of Oz",
"I'm melting!".

Dean
Old January 22nd 05, 09:07 PM
Mike M. Miskulin

Baka Dasai wrote in
:

the fuse doesn't fit quite as nicely as the 9.

Same here. The 9 fits great, but the Fuse doesn't fit me at all.

They seem to be a completely different shape to the 9.

I remember when I got my 9 I had really wanted a boeri
but the damn thing (my head) was just the wrong shape.

I have a great venting system now. Masking tape I've
managed to lose all but the center piece and am down to
one ear flap. Impossible to find any replacements around
here.

Old January 22nd 05, 09:09 PM
Mike M. Miskulin

Waco Paco wrote in news:1106196390.287811
@www.vif.com:

Mike M. Miskulin wrote:

broady wrote in
:

whats a good brand of helmet.

the one that your goggles fit

and more importantly, your head.

Indeed. While my post was in part in jest,
it was meant as a reminder not to forget
to bring your goggles when trying on helmets.
Some brands just dont work well together.

Helmets! Champ Snowboarding 25 January 14th 05 04:39 AM
Helmets still! Jason Pereira Snowboarding 0 January 11th 05 01:06 PM
Helmets Scott Elliot Nordic Skiing 2 September 21st 04 11:08 PM
Helmets - any available with soft padding? Henry Snowboarding 8 February 26th 04 01:54 PM
Helmets - thermal protection Ian Turek Snowboarding 4 November 13th 03 07:35 PM