Old February 10th 06, 12:35 PM

When I was young and foolish I spent most Sundays touring with the CTC and
I'll never forget the time we were cycling out of Stow-on-the-Wold and
overtook a car as we went down the long hill. We all looked at his speedo
which read 40. The look on the driver's face as a pack of a dozen or so
cyclists went by him was priceless.

Once went mountainbiking around pen-y-gent and there is a road with a hill
there that is dead straight and goes on for a bit and is supposed to be one
of the only places where cyclists can exceed the national speed limit (60 on
single lane roads). I myself got upto about 40 but the bike didn't like
speed too much and I didn't fancy going any quicker. One of the guys that
was with us went for it and put it in top gear and peadeld down as fast as
he could and got to 58mph. No cars about though but we were all amazed by
his speed.

Paul