Old September 24th 14, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Jérémy

Default Engleberg skiing

Andy Bonwick wrote in news:c8f5dcFk9cbU1
@mid.individual.net:

On 24/09/2014 06:35, Cab wrote:
Andy Bonwick wibbled forthrightly:

I always favoured the beer & tabs approach to training for the Alps.

I used to get the BMC bus from London to Chamonix and arrive at about
9am, put my tent up in the site opposite the hospital then jump in a
cable car up to Le Brevent for a walk along the ridge and down into
the valley to shake off the horrors of the bus journey.

The next day would usually see a group of us going up to the Midi
then a snow plod up Mont Blanc du Tacul before either setting up a
bivi near the old Cosmiques hut or begging our way into the Midi
station to sleep in one of the corridors then walk down the Vallee
Blanche to Chamonix.

Once that was done I was normally acclimatised and ready for bigger
things and longer stays above the snow line. It's amazing how long
you can stay up there for when you're skint and don't want to be
constantly paying for telepheriques.

Heh. IIRC, Plod now frowns upon people camping near Cosmiques and they
do move them on. Officially speaking.

They've always frowned on it but they can't do anything about it if the
last telepherique has left the Midi and you're stranded. Leaving
anything resembling a camp site set up in the day time would see it
removed so you've always got to carry everything or lower it into a
crevasse. Allegedly.

My acclimatization routine in the early '80s was to camp in the Vallée
Blanche for a few days and climb on the Midi. Loads of people did it
then, and there was often a military camp up there too. The last time I
did that, after several years absence, was 1989 or 1990; there was no-one
else there, and we weren't hassled, but that could have been because it
was rather stormy.

--
Jeremy
K1300GT