Old July 21st 03, 03:45 PM
Walt

uglymoney wrote:

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 19:59:36 CST, lal_truckee
wrote:

Sue wrote:
Gary S. seems to be saying:

Tenney Mountain ski area, in Plymouth, New Hampshire, is blowing snow
right now, with temps in the 80s/90s.

I'd think that the unit would be more applicable to keeping
a small path to the bottom of a high mountain resort open in
the early spring and fall, when it would otherwise be
impossible, and when revenue would be generated by the
terrain above that allowed the use of natural or the far
cheaper standard method of making snow.

Not sure what areas would be good canidates. Perhaps
A-Basin if it was in the center of Denver.

If this thing really works, I can see our midwestern molehills using it
to tack an extra month on at the beginning of the season. Conventional
snowmaking requires the temperature drop below freezing to make snow,
but if they could make snow once the temp drops into the 30s they could
start blowing snow a month or so earlier.

Round these parts, that could mean the difference between GUARANTEED
snow for Thanksgiving vs. the current PROBABLE snow in time for
Christmas. They could advertise it as 'Spring skiing in the Fall' or
some such and fill the lodges when they'd otherwise be empty. I can see
Boyne installing it along with an eighteen passenger chairlift.

Perhaps Vail will raise their ticket prices to over $100
bucks a day, and add these truck like units all over their
already clustered up mountain.

It'll be over a hundred bucks a day sooner than you think, regardless of
whether they adopt this new technology.

--
//-Walt
// Official Emeritus Official Beer Taster for Usenet