Old November 18th 09, 07:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier[_3_]

Default Turning on flat skis?

Dave Cartman wrote:
In article
,
taichiskiing wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_4bbM1MUM8

Yup, line-skiing,

I preferred part 1. Yup, girl in at bikini at 4:40 not to mention
AWESOME 1980's special effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anYZa...eature=related

I'm confused. In Part 2 we saw a lot of footage
of racer dudes (& dudettes) working very hard
to be up on their edges. The slalom skier skidded
a bit more than the GSers, but none-the-less
was trying hard not to.

Then the instructor type guy (especially in Part 1)
showed all of his turns skidded. This guy was doing
'flat ski' until he got into the really steep
when he was bouncing off his edges and skidded
rarely if at all, since each turn started from
edges and ended up on edges (opposite).

Are we at all sure this is 'modern' technique?

It looks for all the world what I was learning
in the 60's for effective braking turns.
Make a platform (traverse strongly edged)
Release edges, perform turning maneuver
(steering or hop)
Bring skis around to opposite direction traverse
Set edges
Repeat

And then the instructor guy was dressed in an
80's body bag.