Old February 12th 04, 01:27 PM
Mike M. Miskulin

Default ride flat, without an edge.

"tlf" wrote in
news:nDEWb.291861$na.450252@attbi_s04:

Keep your weight forward and use the fall line...Once you have a
good feel for the edges, you will become more confident screaming
down the hill flat on your board not to mention edges are your
worst enemy on the flats... It helps to practice on nice smooth
groomers...

Can I totally disagree with you (and others) about riding flat?
IMHO one should *alwyas* ride on an edge. Keeping a slight edge
will a) never result in you catching an edge and b) never result
in you being out of control.

And as far as riding on edge in the flats... try waxing your board
yourself. I regularly pass skiiers on traverses, and I always ride
with a slight toe edge, unless there is enough powder on the
flat that small edges would not even engage. The challenge is not
in keeping the speed, but avoiding the people you are trying to
pass!

mike