Old November 2nd 09, 03:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Humsquirto

Default fun things to try with your GPS

downhill,

...........very convincing.

so, maybe not quite 72.

still, I felt like I was going faster than the old AMC Eagle coming
down hwy 50 after a sunday family ski day.

Great info, by the way, I hope you are able to post some good data
after the season.

from downhill:

I have been clocked at 55 on a radar gun in a speed suit & 212cm skis
and it was work. The fastest guy went 65 and he had pro experience. My
experience with people and speed they have a tendency to lean towards
big numbers even if there is error

The fastest master skiers hit 70 max, you can not use world cup people
as a real world example for regular skiers. If you work out like Bode
you might see 60 but I think you going to be in for a surprise. Plus
your talking about using downhill or super-g skis to do this, using
170cm to do this is asking for trouble

The real way of testing your speed is trip lights or a radar gun. Or a
pitot tube that would be the cheapest way. Even simpler measure the
distance and run a watch time the fastest segment. I use gps in my line
of work and you need to view it in context of other data, but it is not
repeatable over a period of hours.
In one of the testing magazines I get there is a new product for
increasing the accuracy of your gps signal input. Does not fit in
formula cars so did not look in detail.

My thought to best experience the speed is to stand up from the tuck
when you want to slow down

Bring this up in the spring I will share some data from ski runs this
year I am going to some trade shows and putting on a tech seminar in feb
and one of the subjects we will be exploring is gps data.

As for comments from speed groups Lime Rock a 1.6 mile course can be
driven in 49 seconds in a formula atlantic car but only by a small group
of people and many have tried.- Hide quoted text -