Old August 23rd 10, 05:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

Default Best family friendly ski resorts in Colorado?

On Aug 22, 5:14*pm, lal_truckee wrote:
On 8/22/10 1:28 PM, stenor1 wrote:

We usually ski in Tahoe (we like Northstar), CLIP

Any suggestions ?

I'm an Alpine Meadows & Squaw regular. Brother rented a condo in
Breckenridge so I spent a week in the environs. Skied Breck a few - slow
paced, relaxed, mostly low angle stuff. Reminded me at the time of
Northstar, so there you are. Like Northstar, there are some steeper
pitches but you have to go look for them. I imagine it's got all the
usual kid amenities. I think it fits your objective.

Also skied Vail that visit - crowded, expensive, and more like a Boreal
Ridge writ large than a real ski mountain since also a ridge stretched
along a freeway (NOT recommended) and Arapaho Basin which I really liked
- old fashioned ski mountain just like ski mountains used to be when I
was young; I understand money has pored in since then so it's probably
trashed with new condos, new lodge, on slope fine dining, and new
prices. Shame.

No, none of that. New mid mountain lodge, new high speed quad on the
back side making it 40% bigger and a new high speed quad this year
this year to replace the Exo lift. Some improvements to parking so
it's easier to cross the road. That's about it.

Editorializing: FWIW, when I get the travel urge, Utah is drivable, (10
hours from Truckee) with better snow, better mountains, less crowd, and
cheaper; same exact for Jackson Hole. And Mammoth is just around the
corner from you. If I was looking for skiing variety, and wanted to fly
somewhere I'd go north rather than east.