Thread: pole length
View Single Post
Old December 22nd 04, 04:21 AM

First recorded activity by SkiBanter: Dec 2004

With boots on, and standing on skis, they went to my upper lip approx. I was under the impression the height of the pole was determined when standing in the boot only, and not on the ski?

An update on this ... I have since cut my pole down about 3-4 cms, and I must say it has made a big difference to my overall technique. With my
pole now a little below my chin (on boots AND skis), I concur with Mark about the comfort with both the V2 and V1 technques with the slightly shorter pole. No more 'hitch' in my stride as was mentioned by someone, both techniques flow much more smoothly, yet a hell of a lot more juice when compared to the
classic poles (obviously).

The biggest thing I've noticed, is being able to get over the poles much more easily, yet not so easily that I'm on top of them without doing anything. With good forward momentum/swing, I'm bearing down on poles that are in the 'sweet spot' for core activation. It just 'feels' right.

Maybe I have shorter arms than average, or perhaps its just the hillier terrain I'm skiing in but having the poles at the 160cm recommendation seemed to be throwing my technique off a bit (ie. less efficient). I say this speaking only for myself - I expect it might be quite different for someone else.

Funny to think of my old 'early 90's poles' - probably could
of made 2 sets of poles out of them !!

happy trails ..

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by
steve wrote:
So what is the general consensus out there on pole length for

skating??

My current skate poles are at what is suggested for my height -

160cms,
I'm 5,11' . Standing on my ski boots the poles go to my nose .

Try the poles when you're standing in your boots, on your skis and on
the snow. If the poles still go to your nose, you're not 5'11".
Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT
Ads