Old March 28th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
geekboy

Default can some snowboards be dangerous?

wrote:

to be honest i feel like giving up snowboarding all together. This is
the first time i have ever broken a bone in my life. I used my old
board which didnt seem as sensitive maybe had a different edge, dont
understand these things that well i used it for two and a half years
and never broke anything.

well, either teach yourself about things like effective edge,
tuning, bevel, etc, or find someone willing to tune your board
for you based on your riding style.

detuning is a no-brainer, though. do it! i didn't realize how
important it was until i boarded for a while and took a few
decent slams. if you aren't detuning, you should have a good
reason for it (you are a highly skilled rider and want all the
edge you can get).

honestly i can think of no reason why you shouldn't detune
heavily as a beginner. i know i do.

what kind of boards are you riding? both the old one and the
new one?

obviously, advice to keep your speed down until you have a really
good idea of how your board rides is worth heeding. i'm only a few
years younger than you, and i'm just taking it slowly.

geekboy