Old March 26th 08, 09:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Default can some snowboards be dangerous?

On Mar 25, 11:05*am, GeeBee wrote:
On Mar 21, 6:25*pm, "Mike M. Miskulin" wrote:

" wrote :

I am 34. * I took up boarding three yrs ago. *On my really old board,
no i never sharpened the edges, to be honest i dont really understand
edges- the measurements they give them etc * i have been skiing for

I had a feeling it would be something like this hence the question. *
Your old ride probably had fairly dull edges which while causing
other performance issues, would be very forgiving of bad riding form.

Your new board however will have freshly sharpened edges. *Depending
on the manufacturer, it may even come as 0/0 which would be prone to
catching an edge for the inattentive. *It also may not have been
de-tuned (where the tip and tail are dulled to prevent catching).

So before you go out again you might want to get your board waxed and
edges done (most shops will automatically do 1/1) and mention to make
sure they detune the tip and tail.

Of course there are other possibilities - a stiffer board is less
forgiving of bad technique, a change in length, different side cut.

mike

I also recomend detuning the edges. *I bought a new board last year
and had a wicked wipeout at highspeed; after much experimenting I came
to two conclusions,
a) my flow amp9 bindings' highbacks were angled too far forward which
made the board naturally perform a toe-edge turn when I wanted to go
straight (since I was being forced to put pressure on my toes from the
highback) and
b) my edges were super sharp causing them to stick during edge
transitions. *Getting them detuned made a world of difference.

Hope that helps and you recover quickly. *The toughest part is
mentally trusting yourself again on the board; from personal
experience I suggest the next time you go, make sure it's during low
time so there's very little traffic on the hill so you're not worrying
about people passing or hitting you if you wipeout, and pay very close
attention to your feet (transitioning your weight from toe through to
heel smoothly twisting the board) and of course pay attention to where
you're going.- Hide quoted text -

Agree with the advice to get the tip and tail detuned. If they are
sharp, they will have a tendency to dig in and catch and that could
account for the difference.