Old January 19th 05, 03:05 AM
Dmitry

"Edog" wrote

I am basically with you except where you say "even on powder days". A
160 cm often does O.K. for me on potatoes, but anything lighter and I'm
sinking. What was wonderful about the Glissade 168 was that it rode
like a considerably shorter board in the crud (trees, bumps, chutes
etc.) and since I'm not going home at noon on powder days, the board I
bring must go both ways (bi ?). So I'm looking for a 164+ which is
quick, holds an edge, but can cut a sharp carve. Something to dance
through the crud, not bulldoze (so boards like the Ride Timeless are
out of the question). Really, I want my Glissade back but that is not
happening.

I don't really see anything wrong with sinking. Sinking and then popping
out and sinking back in is quite enjoyable, although maybe more tiring
than just floating on top. To me, a good portion of riding powder is in
getting the third dimention of it, so I don't really want a board that will
always float.

Now I can understand if someone wants a monster board for backcountry
or cat/heli, but for resort riding a 168 for a 150lbs dude is a bit too much
in my opinion. Also, it looks like for flotation shovel size and binding
setback actually are just as important as the overall projected surface.

One board that I could recommend that feels way shorter than it really is
is Palmer Shape. It actually did everything quite well (I tried a 174, not
sure if they even made any other sizes). Was surprisingly good (actually,
excellent) at high speeds, good edge grip, fast transitions. I was
totally alienated by the fact that it just didn't have that springy feeling
that my current board a the time had (an old Timeless 158, the exact opposite
of Palmer Shape - unbelievably stiff middle section, very unforgiving,
mad edge grip, very springy out of a well executed carve). I would probably
want to demo it again this year A small bike/snowboard shop somewhere
north of Seattle on 405 (or on 99?) had them for demo, I can try to find it
again if you're interested.