Old March 28th 06, 07:09 AM

Anders wrote:
wrote:

I have noticed that effect. When I am able to keep some speed and
momentum, I have better grip. When I am slower (due to low power) such
that I have to re-accelerate myself with each stride, the depand for
grip is greater and sometimes I slip.

I may be right or (as must be more likely) I may be wrong, but when you
are slower, isn't your glide/glide phase shorter - and therefore you
are more prone to be late for your kick, which in turn means that the
grip you get cannot be as great as it is when your get the timing and
the weight distribution right.

Sounds reasonable.

In other words, you don't need a greater grip on a climb than on the
flat (or a less steep climb), it is simply that the effect of poor grip
is more dramatic there.

Yes, but I was thinking of what happens on the same hill at different
speeds. On some hills if I go fast I can be on-and-off each ski quickly
and my weight transfer and down-force momentum keeps the grip solid.
But if I take the same hill slower, I think my down-force momentum
"wears off" and I lose grip because each stride is taking too long, not
necessarily that the kick is coming at the wront instant. Did that make
sense?

Joseph