Old July 18th 03, 06:24 PM
lal_truckee

F. Plant wrote:

Thanks for the ski advice. Regarding the boots I've been told Alpina is the
smallest fitting boot for toddlers and its quite soft as well.

I don't know where you are, but in the States finding toddler size boots
from any brand name is a problem - not much choice available. I'm
told that in Europe starting kids skiing as toddlers is much more
common, so many toddler size boot brands are available. Here, you pretty
much take what you can find for the very smallest feet. Good luck.

BTW, if you do get your kid skiing well while still young, be sure to
tell the kid what to do when he gets lost, which he will (i.e. stay put,
wait for help, ask lifties or patrol for help, etc.) Once kids get
going, they separate really fast. Turn your back for a second and
they're gone. Ski areas are actually really safe, compared to urban
environments - probably safer than at home, where he can fall in the
toilet and drown, or something, but you do have to round them up at the
end of the day ...

Also teach him about holing up in tree wells or under low hanging
branches, etc, if night sets and he's still lost. It's never too young
to start learning backcountry skills, kids think it's really neat, and
you never know ...