Old July 18th 03, 03:10 AM
lal_truckee

F. Plant wrote:
For toddler, is it any advantage to get shaped ski, or just stick with a
used straight ski until they are a bit older and have better coordination?

My main problem with toddler equipment was finding boots small enough to
stay on. When The Boy was one year old, everytime I'd pick him up the
boots and skis stayed behind on the snow. When The Boy was two, The
Boy'd kick his boots and skis off while riding the lift just for the
thrill of me skiing down to the boots carrying him fireman style. At
three the boots and skis would only come off together in a good crash.
At four The Boy joined the ski development squad, and by five the boots
were finally tight enough that he spiraled his tibia on a too-big jump
landed wrong.

Anyway, back to the question - straight is fine - at a young/beginner
age he'll be in a wedge like as not. As soon as he starts looking like
he wants to parallel look around for something with a decent shape and
soft flex. BTW the soft flex is more important than the shape.