Old August 31st 07, 12:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Dave M-K

Default Roll Out Start?

"Bjorn A. Payne Diaz" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 30, 10:16 am, wrote:
(e.g., Jay's infamous Seeley
start or broken poles).

One thing to learn from that incident is that you can't prevent idiots
from being idiots. They're just too ingenious.

I'd start the race a km into the course where the race is wider.
There's nothing important about the start line.

The importance of the start comes in when there are 500 clothing bags to
move to the finish. If we have the same start and finish, we don't have to
move them. If the finish is 1K from the start we've got to move them. Not
a major problem but just one more thing to get volunteers for. Also I know
many people like starting and finishing in the same spot. You don't have to
worry about cramming all your gear into a bag that will break, you can bring
an extra pair of skis to test and you can leave your bag-o-stuff where ever
you want. BUT I agree with Jay that no matter what the start is like, there
will likely be some kind of tangle up, the narrower the area the greater the
chance the tangle is larger.

Dave

The above mentioned
Seeley Hills starts a km into the course.

Jay