Old December 28th 14, 02:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Default Tuning question

lal_truckee wrote:
Explanation:
Base prep isn't doing what you think it's doing - it's not coating the
surfaces with a air and moisture blocking inert substance.
Solution:
Melt copious (cheap) paraffin over the whole base and up the sides
before storing - coat it thick and don't worry about rust ever again.
Scrap before skiing, or just make a run and wear it off.

How's the snow treating you guys?

I would by that explanation but it is only the tips of the ski, not the
rest of the edges. & only the part that does not contact the snow.
I do melt an excessive amount of base prep over the ski tip to tail,
the edges are covered. The base prep is a low temp wax based product.
I put so much on you could not ski it off, it is a good scrape job to
get it all off. Normally I wax with a thin layer, then scrape and brush.

It has been too warm here, nobody is raving about the conditions.
The 5 day calls for flurries Sunday afternoon and cold just below
freezing at Windham mon to thursday.
Tuxedo is hurting they have had a very hard time trying to make snow.
The places I train at have not had any session yet this year.
Okemo has run Nastar 3 times this year, last year at this point they had
run a dozen times.
I will report how Windham is. I will be at Sundown a week from tomorrow
for opening NASTAR if they open for it. That part of Ct is normally cold
so I expect them to have something.