View Single Post
Old December 11th 03, 02:09 PM
Chris Cline
external usenet poster

Default Lower leg injuries in classic skiing

--0-132709348-1071155266=:40822
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Hi Everett-
I sympathize with your plight-- I'm dealing with plantar fasciitis right now, and it's not going away without leaving claw marks on the door frame, either.

Reading your post, two things come to mind:
First, have you been working with your PT on stretching the soleus/gastroc muscles (and the achilles tendon, and all those other tendons right down into your toes)? At least in my case, I just *thought* that had been stretching those areas, but it turns out that they are pretty tight (which is causing the problem in my feet, in my case). Just a thought that maybe stretching before (after a warm-up), and ice, heat, and/or massage after skiing might help??

Secondly, thinking about classic technique, I'm wondering how it is that you can "pop" your tendons hard enough to pull the muscles. Have you worked with anyone to see if you have some funkiness with your skiing technique (like, maybe, pushing down or "pedalling" with your toes as you kick, rather than trying to kick off your whole foot)? Just seems that *maybe* you're somehow focusing all of the force of the kick in a way that transmits the force to your calfs.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be. Hope you figure out some sort of a breakthough!

Chris

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
New Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing
--0-132709348-1071155266=:40822
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

DIVHi Everett-/DIV
DIVI sympathize with your plight-- I'm dealing with plantar fasciitis right now, and it's not going away without leaving claw marks on the door frame, either./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVReading your post, two things come to mind:/DIV
DIVFirst, have you been working with your PT on stretching the soleus/gastroc muscles (and the achilles tendon, and all those other tendons right down into your toes)?  At least in my case, I just *thought* that had been stretching those areas, but it turns out that they are pretty tight (which is causing the problem in my feet, in my case).  Just a thought that maybe stretching before (after a warm-up), and ice, heat, and/or massage after skiing might help??/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVSecondly, thinking about classic technique, I'm wondering how it is that you can "pop" your tendons hard enough to pull the muscles.  Have you worked with anyone to see if you have some funkiness with your skiing technique (like, maybe, pushing down or "pedalling" with your toes as you kick, rather than trying to kick off your whole foot)?  Just seems that *maybe* you're somehow focusing all of the force of the kick in a way that transmits the force to your calfs.   /DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVGood luck, I know how frustrating it can be.  Hope you figure out some sort of a breakthough!/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVChrisBR/DIVphr SIZE=1
Do you Yahoo!?br
a href="http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21260/*http://photos.yahoo.com"New Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing/a
--0-132709348-1071155266=:40822--

Ads