Old July 10th 03, 04:29 PM
Jim Farrell

Default Foot stress while roller skiing

kayakclc wrote:
Thanks for the responses everyone.

-"roll over, what' that"? at the very end of my push when my heel
starts to come up and its not making contact with the groove
in the binding, the ski starts to roll to the outside and my boot
twists oddly as there is no lateral stiffness left

OK, The roll over you describe sounds like a serious technique flaw. I
would recommend competent coaching, for the image i have of what you are
attempting to do might be very far off. I don't think you should be
relying on boot stiffness too much, and not, in any event, should you be
torqueing your boot at the end of you push off. In fact, you should be
able to skate competently on classic boot (how else can you turn the
dang things without a good quick step turn?)

You should push off with a flat foot as much as possible. Meaning equal
weight front to back and equal weight inside and outside. When viewed
from the front, the ski should be perpediclar to your leg whether riding
the glide ski or pushing off. I learned the consequences of pushing
off too much with the toes last ski season. Try to avoid it except for
your follow through.

If I am completely off base, it only demostrates the hazards of coaching
over the web.

Jim