Old May 4th 04, 02:15 AM
Arvin Chang

Default more "universal" powder board

(Jason Watkins) wrote in message . com...
Only get a board like the OSin 4807, Prior Powstick, or RadAir Tanker
200cm if you are going to be spending weeks (like over 7 days) in big
open powder bowls. You can buy a 178 cm 4807 on Ebay for $109-140
which I think will be an excellent board for powder bowls.

Well, for a dissenting opinion. I'm pretty sure I'll buy a powder
specific board for next season... the 168 O'Sin fishtail is likely
what I'll pick up. I expect there will be maybe 4 or 5 good storms
that will justify riding it. That's not nearly weeks in open bowls...
but, I look at it this way. Think of the best powder run you had this
whole season. Now imagine you could make that run, that whole day,
even better. Seems like it's worth $100 and change for a board off
ebay or closeout from a shop.

I wanted to be error on the conservative side as I don't like
encouraging people to buy gear that they won't use (people tend to be
overly optimistic at the changes they'll get to use things). However,
now that you mention it... $120 is cheap, like if I could, I would
rent a powder board during a storm for $20... so like I could
definitely get 6 days of use out of it in a year. Personally I was
imagining a board for the tree runs like the Burton Fish or Prior
Khyber would be nice... but now that you mention it the entire
Kirkwood backbowl is full of powder, it's just that a lot of times
it's too thin or heavily tracked to make it fun to ride except on the
first run or tw. However, a swallowtail would give me superior
floatation... for a while I had just imagined being able to float is
super deep powder (and not getting stuck), but I think it would make
less than super fun powder fun I guess (like the area under the wave).

Hmm.... darn you guys! (I blamed you Mike specifically =]). I already
have like three boards this year (compared to one last year) - a
freestyle board, my freeride board, and my alpine board. At roughly
25-30 days per season that's only like 8-10 days for each board.
That's cutting it's close in my mind (feels a little wasteful). I just
ordered a Madd snowboard as my new alpine board, and I didn't want to
buy TWO boards over the summer... although the Madd is replacing the
sub-100 dollar learner's board I bought and the 4087 *is* only like
$130 total... hmm... Maybe I'll sell my freestyle board as well, since
the Donek is pretty good on jumps and in the pipe as well, just a
little stiff for rails and flatland tricks. I just don't like the idea
of owning four snowboards - it just feels extravagant to me during
these times.

==seduced by the dark side==