Old April 30th 04, 08:39 PM
Mike T

Default Long alpine boards (was: more "universal" powder board)

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti... threadid=2325

Just thought you might find it interesting.

I took a few runs on one of those 210s in March... I don't imagine I'll
ever own anything that long, but it sure was fun to ride! You wind up
going pretty fast without trying. I had the most fun on a big, wide, empty,
low-intermediate groomer, I didn't dare push it on anything narrow of steep
lest I get going too fast.

I do see myself owning something about 190 or 195 someday, with a similar
sidecut radius (17 m) to that 210 though. When I tried it out I was
actually more interested in knowing what a 17m sidecut felt like (that's
over twice what most people use - high 7's to low 8's) than a 210 board....
I now know that I can carve that sidecut on the right kind of trails, but
210 cm on a 17m sidecut makes for a board that really locks into a carve...
I would only recommend a board like that for the most skilled, most
aggressive riders out there... riders who are better than I am. If I ever
go with something with a monster sidecut like that (essentially a SuperG
board), it will almost surely be a custom job, probably 190 - 195 like I
mentioned above, and it would be slightly tapered to make for easier exit
from turns... which could be the thing to keep me out of the hospital

(For comparison, my 184 had a 13.2 m sidecut... and a slight taper of 4 mm
from tip to tail... that was enough to keep if from every feeling locked in
when I needed to get out of the carve and skid to slow or stop. But when I
wanted to groove on it, it really stayed in the groove well. I am glad I'm
getting a replacement over the summer / fall!)

Mike T