Old April 30th 04, 07:56 PM
BigFoot

Default more "universal" powder board

What's that tell you when BRAND NEW 178 snowboards can't even sell for $100.
There's some old hippie at Kirkwood with a swallow tail. He can barely get
the thing pointed downhill.

"Arvin Chang" wrote in message

To Andrew (BigFoot):
I don't agree with Og's categorical dismissal of longer boards.
However, I also don't believe that you should get an extra long
freeride board just for the few powder days you might encounter
(definitely not a 168, the 168 cm Osin 4807 board mentioned was a
powder specific board).

I say go for the Khyber or a Donek Wide 162. They carve extremely well
on groomers (as good as a regular waisted freerider board that is),
but are nice and wide and will give you good flotation. I think Mike T
is like 190 lbs and rides a Wide 161 which he says gives him good
powder performance without many tradeoffs... and this is from a guy
whose favorite board is 184cm long (well before it was damaged by
Randy).

Only get a board like the OSin 4807, Prior Powstick, or RadAir Tanker
200cm if you are going to be spending weeks (like over 7 days) in big
open powder bowls. You can buy a 178 cm 4807 on Ebay for $109-140
which I think will be an excellent board for powder bowls.

Thank you guys for your advise. I hate wide boards, I tried Never Summer Legacy
once and that was by far the worst board I've ever ridden.
So it brings me back to Khyber. I agree with og, looong board would probably
an overkill. But Im heavier than you, so I need more floatation.
Khyber 165 might be real fun. And my board of choice will still be my
Shogun 166,
the best stick I've ever had under my feet.