Old January 13th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jeremy

Default Boot inserts - anyone use them?

wrote:
Thanks very much for the replies everyone, it's interesting to see
other people using inserts. I might leave it another season. Lord
knows how my boots (Airwalk) have lasted so long, they've been on
countless holidays. I think I will indeed try any new boots with and
without inserts and just see what happens to work best.

This is the first time I've seen anyone call them inserts, but as Neil
suggested, insoles, footbeds, or orthotics are a common tool of the
boot fitter. The better ones are either designed to be modified, or are
customized from the start. If you like what they do to the heel and
arch, but are cramped in the toes, cut the offending piece out. Measure
twice and cut once, but these are usually user-friendly parts.

Some people have a pair they really like, and take them along when trying
or even renting boots. I tend to work the opposite direction, but I'm
not terribly picky in this regard.

For what it's worth, this sort of modification isn't unique to snow boots.
Some people find them necessary to wear any footwear. Shoe stores frequently
have lower priced off the shelf models, but lack the expertise to deal with
the forces involved in boarding.

Jeremy