Old January 4th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

Default Bindings

"Sean" wrote in message

I liked my K2's heelside move, but I'm much stronger going heel side than toe
side. It's kind of a strange feeling - while heel side, I have no problem
getting the edge to work for me putting down a nice, narrow line in the snow.
Toe side, on the other hand, I feel like I am about to launch off the mountain
with much less control.

One thing I've found is that my bindings by themself do not allow enough forward
lean. This limits how much I can bend my knees on toeside to absorb bumps.
Therefore the bumps tend to throw me around a lot. On my old board, I made a
pair of wedge shaped risers to give me a couple degrees more of forward lean,
which pretty much solved the problem. I just got a new board which doesn't yet
have the risers installed, and have found I have much more of a problem turning
toeside again. I am just finishing a new riser set for that board.

The riser is just a piece of 3/4" plywood cut carefully with a handsaw into a
wedge of about 1/4" at the front and 1/2" at the back. I then cut the pieces to
match the bottom of the binding, and cut a hole for the binding plate. Next, I
primed the wood, and then coated the whole thing with polyurethane caulk using
an old credit card to give it a rubbery grip surface, and bought longer screws
for mounting the bindings through it.

Bob