Old August 30th 10, 12:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
polarpoler

Default Squaring off roller ski wheels

On Aug 29, 9:25*pm, Bob Schwartz
wrote:
Stop me if you've heard this one before... This is not
about selling handbags or shoes.

Someone has a set of classical roller skis. Maybe they
skate on them, who knows. But at some point the wheels
start to wear unevenly. As the wear progresses things
get worse more quickly. Pretty soon they don't track
worth anything.

The person looks up the cost of new wheels. Then they
decide that their skate roller skis will do just fine,
and they gift the ones with the wheels that won't track
straight.

I've got roller skis like that. One is a pair of very
old Swenors. Very unevenly worn wheels, no hope of
tracking straight. Soft rubber, 60mm wide. Haven't been
sold for years, no way of getting new wheels for those.

So I took them to the bench grinder. Yes, you heard that
right. The bench grinder. I turned it on and spun up the
roller ski wheel on it. Then I rotated the shaft a
little. This caused the grinding wheel to begin shaving
rubber from an evenly rotating wheel.

I did this for a while, accumulating quite a mound of
rubber shavings. Eventually I had two sets of wheels,
both pretty much squared off. If you do this, pay
attention to the bearings. They are spinning pretty fast,
and they'll heat up on you if you are not careful.

I only have cheap-o spare bindings in the basement so I
haven't taken them out to verify anything yet. But the
pro of doing this is that I have a free pair of roller
skis that track like new.

But nothing is free. I've lost some wheel diameter and
the result is going to be roller skis that ride more
harshly and hang up easier on stones and sticks.

I've never heard of anyone sculpting worn roller ski
wheels like that. Maybe I'm the trend setter. Maybe some
of you have old roller skis with unevenly worn wheels
that you are willing to experiment on.

At least I haven't tried to sell you a watch.

Bob Schwartz

Hey Bob, back when I first started roller skiing with the classic
V2's, that was my normal procedure when wheels got uneven. I used that
grinder on all wheels until I switched to skate skis with narrow
wheels.
I had forgotten about it until now....
Burgess