Old May 9th 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
RWintski

Default Roller skiing protective gear

I've been reading this thread awhile and find it amazing...
Since the mid 1970's when I picked up nordic ski racing I have almost
universally found the participants to be a very friendly type! Always
saying hi, etc... Through skiing I also became a runner- but there I
never found the same comraderie- seldom would a Hello be
acknowledged Through my ski coach, I also picked up cycling.
There I found friendly people, waving as we passed, but I also found many
people that would invite people along on rides and then proceed to leave
them behind if they were slower (definitely not the Nordic way!).
Now I see this petty argument over protective gear. Somebody asks for
advice on what works best so as to not impede the motions of xc skiing and
it turns into a yelling match!? Crazy! I never thought I would see the
day!
I can't answer the poster's question as for most of my 30 year roller
skiing career I have been guilty of the no pads or helmet wearing
Now that I am older (and more likely that I am smarter) and with helmets
being so comfortable, it just doesn't make sense (just like when anyone
gets on a bike) to not wear a helmet.
I also am surprised at certain poster's responses- advocating giving up
roller skiing instead of investigating gear that in this day and age
surely should be available… and this coming from someone with a biking
background who should always insist on at the minimum a helmet—and also
from someone that once said a race should be cancelled if it is too cold
for the volunteers, though they are the ones that have the ability to wear
bulky, toasty, warm modern clothing and should be prepared for anything.
So we should protect some, but not others?
Enough ranting…
So finally, if anyone has found comfortable, non-restrictive protective
gear- please share it with the group!
Thanks in advance for you time,
Randy W