Old May 29th 12, 09:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default TR Mammoth 5/27/12

Trip trivia --

Now that the bike park is open, some of the shuttle buses tow trailers
with bike racks.

The "permanent" snow fence at the top of Chair 2 was blown over by the
winds recently (I am assuming in the last storm a few days ago)
including uprooting its cement foundations.

Similarly - I saw the remnants of a prefab metal building (garage?
shed?) wrapped around one of the big trees in Olancha..

I spent an hour in the Lone Pine Film Museum (many movies were filmed
in the Lone Pine area) - worth the $5, and a good break in the long
drive home.

I checked out the free wifi systems at the McDonalds in Ridgecrest,
Lone Pine and Mammoth Lakes. All work fine after a signin page, and
all can be accessed from the parking lot. I didn't try the one in
Bishop, but it is advertised as from the same source - AT&T. There is
also a wifi system for MyMammoth and MVP customers at the lodges at
Mammoth, with the password changed every day - you can download it in
the morning once you log in to your MyMammoth account or you can text
WIFI to 20123 receive the code.

On a similar note - the Denny's in Bishop does not have wifi (you can
pick up the signal from the Travelodge next door, but you need a
password); the Denny's at the Palm Ave exit off 215 in San Bernardino
does (usually my last stop on the drive home - coffee and apple crisp
last night).

I knocked off Sunday early enough to catch the Mammoth Theater matinee
of Men in Black 3. Cool movie. Josh Brolin does such a good job of
imitating "young" Tommy Lee Jones I thought some of it must be CGI.

Since I was traveling up without a hotel Saturday night, I slept in
the car in the large gravel lot at Pleasant Valley Rd intersection
just up from Bishop. The rest rooms in the Sawmill County Park rec
area (cross 395, then about a mile) open at 6AM.

The hotel where I usually stay (Econolodge) had a bus parked outside
Sunday morning (which explains why they were sold out Saturday night)
and when I was checking in Sunday PM the manager told a couple of
prospective customers he had nothing left, and recommended the Quality
Inn across the street - "2 rooms left".

I still haven't figured out how to avoid the traffic mess in the
Victorville-Adelanto stretch of 395 just north of the exit from I15.
Going north, I tried heading up SR138, then Sheep Creek Road, but that
way ended in a road blocked by a washout, so I wandered around until I
found my way to 395.