Old January 27th 09, 04:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default ski from Fallen Leaf lake to Lake Aloha, Deso wilderness

On Jan 26, 6:43*pm, freeheelfunhog wrote:
My wife and I used to live and teach xc skiing at a lodge on Fallen
Leaf Lake; Desolation was our backyard. It's a great potential
introductory place if the weather is good (which it is a lot of the
time), but should be respected if the weather and/or snow conditions
are threatening. I have seen some major avalanches in the Glen Alpine
valley (which is where you will likely be if you start at Fallen Leaf
Lake rather than Echo).

The forecast looks good.

We have decided to do exactly what you suggested - ski into Deso on
day 1 (half day, realistically), make camp, sleep, ski around on day 2
(Pyramid peak?), sleep, ski back down (half day, realistically).

I am a bit worried about avalanches, but I am hoping the snow have
settled by the time we get there (they just had a storm and it is
supposed to be warm for the rest of the week).