Old November 29th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
lal_truckee

Default Okay, but when it is best to go?!

jack wrote:
So, I can ski the groomed trails with my ice skis, but would need to rent
powder skis to go on the powder. Since that is the main reason I want to
go... Do they always have powder, or just after a good snow fall?

I am completely flexible on my dates. If you had a choice of going once,
what dates would you pick?
Apparently they have little snow now, but that is bound to change. (isn't
it?)

Snow will come. February is a good time - plenty of snow, with fairly
regular freshies.

California "powder" is seldom like Utah or even Colorado powder.
However, if you learn to ski California powder you can ski powder
anywhere; California powder is heavy and requires good carving skill;
any skidding will immediately crash you.

A good skier can ski anything on any ski - it's the skier, not the ski.
A wider, shorter, softer ski is easier in powder, not a requirement for
powder. Also, you don't want to make it too easy - what's the fun, then?

That said, lugging skis on an airplane is a pain in the ass,
particularly if you want to try different style skis anyway - leave them
home and rent: bring your own boots and outer ski clothes as carry-on so
the fine folks employed by the airlines can't lose them.

"jack" wrote in message
I am visiting a friend who just moved to SF and we plan on going skiing in
Tahoe. I have a few questions; bear in mind that I have never skied
outside
of NY before, and I am a competent but not daring skier.

1) What is the best time to go?
2) What resorts are best, and why?
3) Are the skis I use here for skiing on ice suitable, or should I rent
skis?
4) What the heck happened here?! I was last here a year ago and it was
pretty busy.