Old September 9th 04, 05:13 PM
Alun Evans

On Thu 09 Sep '04 at 09:17 "Simon Brown" wrote:

Hi All,

Just bought a Minolta DiMAGE Z3 and am very impressed.

High resolution, My balcony
http://www.hb9drv.ch/PICT0002.JPG
Standard resolution, Laax
http://www.hb9drv.ch/PICT0042.JPG
http://www.hb9drv.ch/PICT0048.JPG

I'll have a poodle with me over Christmas / New Year so will be walking in
the mountains rather than skiing so will have the camera with me.

Anyone got any suggestions or hints for using a digital camera when the sun
is shining in winter? With my SLR I had filters and stuff, don't seem to
exist in the digital world.

Experiment, the pictures are free after all.

My canon S45 has three different metering modes; evaluative, center weighted
and spot. - I see from dpreview.com that you have pretty much the same
options.

Try playing with them and the white balance...?

I think that spot sometimes gives me better slightly better pictures. Getting
someone to hold their hand above the lens when the sun glare is in the way can
also help.

BTW it eats batteries, thank goodness for rechargeables.

Keep them next to your body in winter, they'll last a _lot_ longer.

Alun.