Old September 5th 04, 11:11 PM
Mary Malmros

JQ wrote:

I have read, heard and seen people claim to be an intermediate level skier
because they can turn and stop or have skied a few times on season. Most
have skied less than 20 times and generally at the same mountain. I would
consider this skier a beginner and a far cry from intermediate level. The
same applies to the skier that claims to be an advance skier because they
can make it down a black diamond at a small mountain.

So how should a skier's level be determined? This is also important to know
for many skiers so they are better able to get the right equipment for
themselves. using these levels: beginner, intermediate, advance, expert &
master (a skier that can ski just about anything that is skiable - "extreme
skiers" also has the knowledge and experience to go along with it).

I think it depends on what purpose you're determining for.

For choosing gear? Doesn't really matter what you call yourself. Demo
demo demo, ski on 'em and find out if they're too hot, too cold, or just
right. Or find something you like and ask around for comparable stuff.

For choosing a mountain? Talk to someone who knows your mountain and
the trails you ski on. Tell what trails you've skied, and be honest
about your comfort level with different trails and conditions.

For choosing a level in ski school? Most ski schools have a lot of
different levels, and pretty verbose descriptions about what you should
be able to do to fit in a level. Again, be honest about what you can
do, and you'll find your level.

For fronting at the bar? That depends on whether you think you'll be
rejected out of hand for being a mere beginner, or whether you can think
ahead enough to imagine your embarrassment the next day at showing your
objet de lust (to whom you described yourself as an "intermediate) just
how much of a beginner you are ;-)

IOW, apart from "beginner", the labels aren't terribly useful, so don't
bother with 'em.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.