Old November 4th 03, 11:56 PM
Geoff

Default snowboarding and a bad back

2 things, First, consult a Doctor of some sort if you haven't already.
Snowboarding falls can be pretty violent and quick. Make sure the back
in question can survive this possibility.
When I was learning to board I would get into some nasty spills
that would wind my back up like a spring. Luckily it never seemed to
bother it. I've actually gone to the slope in the morning with my back
feeling sore, due to riding in the car for hours and ended the day
feeling great. I assume that has to do with all the stretching and
usage the back gets over the course of the day. ButThat's just me and
my back. Your milage will no doubt vay. I'm now 31 and was 27 or 28
when learning.
Second, try weight training in addition to the running.
I've always had a weak back and been some what dependant on
Chiropractic adjustments ever 2-4 months to keep me in shape. I took
up running 3 years ago, which helped a little. A few months ago I took
up weight training and I have not had the need to visit a chiro once
since then. Keeping in mind that my weight training regime is neither
intensive nor consistent as it should be. So I've noticed that a
little effort will go a long way. My advice, see a phycisian, join a
gym, and get a trainer to set you up with a routine that enphasises
your core muscle groups (abs, chest, upper, lower back). You can do
them all with machines and the mat, in case the weight room is too
intimidating. Finding a good trainer is key, you don't want a muscle
head, you want someone that has training with building muscle for
reasons other than to look good in a Speedo.

Good luck with the back.

wrote in message ...
rwbw soho wrote:

I can't believe (Alexey) you get one or two spasms a year...it
put my wife in bed for 4 days solid before she could get up....and
walk...the pain!

You are right, it's very painful. But I exceed nothing.

Before now, I spent 7-10 days in a bed, every time as it chanced. But I
met a very good doctor.
He use the vietnameese medicine. Five nails into my backbone, and five
days of long walks - it's better, than lie in a bed :-)

Good luck!
Alexey.