Old November 5th 03, 03:51 AM
rwbw soho

Default snowboarding and a bad back

I think that if you can run 10K then you can probably snowboard -
running is pretty effective at exposing weaknesses in the back.
Snowboarding doesn't have to put a big strain on your back but it is
somewhat asymetrical both when riding and sitting on the chairlift. My
tips for avoiding a stiff back:
* try to sit square on the chair lift and support the weight of the
board on both legs
* be careful how you sit in the lodge after snowboarding - sitting with
poor posture after sport (i.e. when your muscles are cooling down) is
definitely bad
* plenty of stretching at the end of the day to loosen the muscles and
keep the back aligned.

Thanks for the replies...we are definately going to take all the
advice...I can't believe (Alexey) you get one or two spasms a year...it
put my wife in bed for 4 days solid before she could get up....and
walk...the pain!

Glad you mentioned the chairlift...it does pose a problem cause only
one leg gets to bear all the weight of the board. I found the lifts
quite uncomfortable for boarders.....we are going to have to just try.

rwbw