Old February 25th 10, 01:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Mike M. Miskulin

Default Olympics

Joe Ramirez wrote in :

So you would cut the halfpipe, all figure skating, and the freestyle
skiing aerials? And from the Summer Olympics, say goodbye to major
sports like gymnastics and diving, plus some minor ones, such as
synchronized swimming? I guess you really don't want many women in the
Olympic audience. But boxing and wrestling would have to go as well, I
think. Judges award the points in those sports too.

Boxing has always suffered the 'how could he have scored it ...'
problem. I think it is less so in wrestling as the notions of
takedowns and reversals are, for instance, pretty clear. Perhaps
someday computers can automate the boxing ring.

Yes to all of the above. And again, I'm not taking anything away
from the respective competitors. Would you have ballet dancing
in the olympics? If not, how is it dramattically different than
what passes for the "sport" of figure skating and its many
olympic variations?

I think that any event in which the final 'score' is primarily
given out by a judge(s) based on an evaluation of the
performance (perhaps thats the key word?) just is not a sport.
Again, just my opinion.