Old January 19th 05, 08:13 PM
Waco Paco

todd wrote:

I'm guessing most have heard about this avalanche just outside of The
Canyons resort in Park City, Utah last Friday.

There are some informative photos here, if you're interested;
http://tinyurl.com/4ge9e

Anyone who has been to The Canyons, ridden the 9990 lift, and possibly
even hiked up to the gate is all to familiar with the slide area shown.
Pretty sobering and a good reminder to check the avalanche forecast
before even considering backcountry riding. The Dutch Draw area is a
big lure for inbound skiers/riders because it is so easily accessable
from a lift and you board right back in-bounds and hop back on the
lift. On the day of the slide there were many people out of bounds as
evidenced by the multiple tracks on the ridge. These boarders, like
others, probably figured the run was safe based on the amount of tracks
already on slope. ...which it obviously wasn't, by the subsequent
slide and the stern warnings and other avalanches in Utah this year.
Ride safe, folks.

I feel bad for the boarder, but it also shows that they were probably
not too familiar with avalanche safety. Also it shows the dedication and
knowledge for safety that pros have when they film in the back country.

Bless him and hope he's off to a better place where the pow is always safe.