Old August 29th 03, 02:12 AM
Tommy T.

I am only Mt. K. short of climbing every 4000 footer in New England. I am
in a permanent boycott of that park. The rules now actually aren't as bad
as they were about 20 years ago.

Find a through hiker on the Appalachian Trail who was forced to wait for a
number before climbing K to finish the 2000+ mile trek. Or worse, who was
completely denied the chance because of an artificial date on the calendar,
regardless of actual weather and climbing conditions.

Add some really xenophobic rules that give preference to Mainers and there
are plenty of reasons to stay away.

Tommy T.

"Greg" wrote in message

Getting into Baxter SP in winter is complex. See their site for
details, and keep in mind that the reservations get mostly filled
within a few days after they start accepting them for hteupcomong
season.

Just out of idle curiosity I went to the web site. Holy Crap! It sounds
like an authoritarian nightmare even in the summer! It's really sad that
the state is in the role of protecting people from their own stupidity.

-G