Old August 13th 03, 08:12 PM
Greg

Gary S. wrote:

Well, they are the people who have to go out and rescue hikers.

Do they have to? I think that's part of the problem. If a handful
of ill-prepared hikers died each year, people would learn a greater
respect for the mountain and weather conditions. I don't want to sound
too crass, but availability of rescues just gives the illusion of safety.
Too many people expect safety. Telling them when/when not to climb and
being there for rescues just reinforces this thinking.

I was hiking down from the summit of Mt. Hoffman in Yosemite NP, which
although it has much more benign weather than Katahdin, *is* over 10kft and
in a wilderness area miles from the road. I met an older couple on their way up
and the man didn't look so hot. They asked me about the first aid station on the
summit. I was astounded and told them that they was no such thing (on top of any
Sierra summit AFAIK). They thanked me politely and kept ascending. Where do
people get these notions?

Fact is, it is easier to get a permit to climb Denali in winter than
for Katahdin in winter.

Very odd. With all due respect to Katahdin, I have to beleive that Denali is
more dangerous!

-Greg