Old December 19th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Eugene Miya

Default strap-ons

In article ,
VtSkier wrote:
Booker Bense wrote:
In article ,
dardruba wrote:
I've no idea what the military use these days but I presume they must have a
binding which grips a walking/working boot.
If so that should work on your boots.

I believe it's called a NATO binding for obvious

There are 2 different NATOs.

There is also a US military binding made by Ramer
(I think that's the manufacturer). They sometimes

Paul died a few years back.
His daughter was considering trying to revive his father's IP with a
vendor but she has been silent for a fair number of years.
Some people would simple prefer Paul's poles.

They are also the heavy duty issue binding by the US Antarctic Program.

The Ramer bindings look like they can be made to fit
most anything. They were the binding of choice for
alpine touring 30 years ago. There was an article
in Powder last year about some early alpine touring
(1970's) and the gear they were using was mountaineering
boots, long skis and military bindings.

There are others. I've owned 2 different Ramer pair (one might be
hanging in Neptune in Boulder) and skied 2 addition early and later variations.
I still have one which I've had mounted on my work skis
(waiting for either a Chile trip, a Greenland trip, Alaska or
local steep serious ski).

Some National Guard units still use the old Silveretta rat trip.
I know Harlin skis them.

Heavy weight stuff to be sure, but might suit your
needs in the binding department as least.

Not tuned as good as a real Alpine or a real Nordic but gets the job done.
It just created blisters in a different area.

It's nice having release.