Old February 5th 04, 03:07 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Default Advice wanted on spending a season in Canada...

Ray wrote:
Al...many thanks Mate, I will look into it. Any thoughts on how much
cash I would need (rent, pass, food etc)?

It would be helpful if you quoted a bit of the post you're responding
to. I assume you're asking about Banff?

I'm not sure if a combination Louise/Sunshine/Norquay seasons pass
exists. Personally, if I were to do it for a season I might buy a pass
at one hill (Louise for me!) and then a discount card for the other.
The discount cards offer good value for a relatively low number of days.
You can also get midweek passes for cheaper - ride your main hill
mid-week, hit the other one with the discount card on the weekend. See
www.skibanff.com for info on Sunshine, www.skilouise.com for the Lake.
I don't think they have their early-season prices posted anymore, just
be aware that both the discount cards and season passes are cheapest if
purchased early, like in October or November.

Banff is a full-service town with a supermarket and everything, so
you'll be able to buy food and cook for yourself, your $1000/month
budget should be fine.

Rent is medium-expensive there, you might consider a roommate. A quick
google for "banff rental apartments" yielded a 600 square foot 1 bedroom
for $700/month.

Sunshine is 20 minutes from Banff by car, Louise about 45 minutes. So
you would need a car or possibly there's some sort of season pass for
the shuttles that serve the hotels.

Neil