Old November 28th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.alpine
Wolfgang May

Default Driving in Austria and Germany

In rec.travel.europe wrote:
Hi

I was told that for driving in Austria I will need a sticker (for
autobahn)

yes.

Is it the same for Germany ?

no.

I am going to drive daily form Innsbruck to the following destinations

Kuhtai Glacier
Stubaier Glacier
Ischgl
Solden
Arlber St Anton

You need the sticker only for the motorway. For the above places, it
makes sense to buy it (motorway to the Arlberg area).

If you rent a car, I would expect that it has such a sticker (called "Pickerl"
in Austria). If you go there with your own car, care that in Austria
it is mandatory to have a "Warnweste" (I don't know the english word ...
a orange cloth to wear in case of an accident) in the car. (probably
also for a rental car, check where it is).

-For those of you who went there ...what are the supplimentary charges
applied for a VISA or Mastercard transaction (my account is not in the
local currency) .

Depends on the bank that issued the card. Locally there are usually
no charges.

If you are an EU citizen, probably there is no supplementary charge
at all (but I assume you aren't).

-Where can I buy the stickers for Germany and Austria and for how much
(if you know)

No motorway fee/sticker for Germany

Austria: at the border when you enter, or at petrol stations.
For the Warnweste: it's extremely expensive at the border - buy it
before or in a supermarket or a do-it-yourself-store.

Any recommendations for driving eating and skiing for these
destinations would be much appreciated.

Skiing: everywhere in this area. Eating also, but probably quite expensive
in the skiing areas.

I would also like to know if
the parking is OK for these destinations. Are there any fee for parking?

Most probably: yes. And not really cheap
Sometimes it may be better to go by train from Innsbruck (to the Arlberg)
and rent skiing equipment there.

Wolfgang